Part One - Chapter One: The Pregnancy Test

Fernando Torres smiled looking at his girlfriend of three years, he didn’t know how he had gotten so lucky when he had met Vanessa; she had been studying business at the local university and had just graduated.

Fernando smiled listening to her speak to her father as he prepared to leave for training, he didn’t know why her father wished for her to move back to Andorra especially when she was happy leaving in London.

Fernando was sure that Vanessa would be fine here in London, he didn’t think that he would be able to live without her after three years together.

“I know padre,” Vanessa murmured peeking back at Fernando with a small smile, she had been feeling sick most of the morning and hoped it would die off.

Vanessa brushed her fingers through her hair, she doubted her father would ever understand why she wished to remain in London; she was his heir and he expected her to come home.

Fernando had no idea that Vanessa’s father was really HRH King George of Andorra, she had done her best to keep him in the dark about her life.

Vanessa didn’t want her boyfriend to judge her on her heritage or on the fact that she was crown princess of a country and would inherit the throne when her father passed.

“I know padre,” Vanessa repeated while she watched Fernando prepare to leave for training, she smiled to herself knowing that she was happy right now and she didn’t want anything to ruin it.

Fernando walked over to Vanessa and gave her a kiss, he smiled softly brushing some hair from his girlfriend’s face; he had to leave for training and then pick Nora up later from her mother’s.

Vanessa smiled looking at her boyfriend, she mouthed to him that she loved him; she couldn’t believe that she had someone like him in her life.

Vanessa watched as Fernando left, she couldn’t help but wonder how she had found someone like him; he was nothing like the men of her world.

Vanessa shook her head as her father called her attention back to him, she sighed wishing that he understood that she was happy here.

“I don’t know when I am coming home,” Vanessa breathed feeling a wave of nausea, she swallowed heavily wondering what was going on with her; she shook her head as she continued to listen to her father complain.

George truly feared that his daughter had forgotten that she wasn’t the average person, she was going to be Queen one day.

“I’m sorry padre… I have to go,” Vanessa said before she quickly hung up the phone, she rushed towards the sink before she threw up; she pulled back her hair as she tried to calm her breathing.

Vanessa wiped her mouth peeking at the calendar as an idea formed in her mind, her stomach turned as she realised that she was late for her period.

“No…” Vanessa whispered under her breath, her father would be furious if she was pregnant and she knew that this was the last thing that she had expected to happen.

Fernando and her were so careful about their birth control, she didn’t know how this could have happened; they always used protection and Vanessa feared what might happen if she was pregnant.

***

Fernando smiled to himself as he stretched for training, he knew that it was silly but he still couldn’t believe that he had someone like Vanessa in his life.

Vanessa had been the friend that he had needed when things hadn’t been going so well, Fernando loved her and he knew that she had secrets.

Fernando was curious about why Vanessa had never introduced him to her parents, he guessed that she had a good reason for it and he hoped to meet them soon.

“So how are things between you and Vanessa?” David asked looking at Fernando, he knew how in love that his friend was with his girlfriend and he worried that Vanessa was using Fernando.

David didn’t know much about Vanessa, but he knew that she was keeping a lot of secrets from her boyfriend; he worried that she was only using Fernando for the fame.

“Por favor don’t start,” Fernando said looking at his team-mate, he knew how David felt about Vanessa and he wished that her friend would get along with her.

Vanessa had never done anything wrong and yet still David didn’t trust her, Fernando didn’t know what was wrong but he wished that the two of them would get along together.

***

Vanessa paced around the bathroom, her fingers running through her hair as she waited for her phone to signal that the three minutes were up; she couldn’t believe that she was doing this right now.

Vanessa took a deep breath as she tried not to think of the headlines that would come out, she knew that if she was pregnant that this changed everything; she would have to tell Fernando who she was.

“Nessa we’re home,” Fernando called making Vanessa curse, she hadn’t expected him to be home so soon especially when she was doing this.

Vanessa brushed her fingers through her hair, she had to know if she was pregnant and she couldn’t leave the bathroom because she feared that Fernando would find the test.

“I’ll be out in a moment,” Vanessa called moving to check her phone, she chewed on her lip as the final seconds counted down before her phone beeped telling her that the three minutes were over.

Vanessa’s hazel eyes moved to look at the pregnancy test, she carefully picked it up and prayed silently that it was negative; she didn’t know what to do if it wasn’t.

Vanessa stared down at the test as her worst nightmare came true, she hated that she couldn’t be excited about this; she wanted to be happy and this couldn’t have come at a worst time.

“Nessa are you okay?” Fernando asked opening the bathroom door, he stopped at the sight of the pregnancy test in his girlfriend’s hand.

Vanessa stared at Fernando, this wasn’t how she wanted him to find out especially when she hadn’t had time to think things through; she was going to have to tell him that she was a princess now.

“Nessa…” Fernando breathed as excitement filled him, he knew that he had wanted another child and this couldn’t have come at a better time for him.

Vanessa stared at her boyfriend of three years, her mind racing wondering what to do; she knew that she couldn’t keep lying to him.

“We’re having a baby,” Vanessa said resisting the urge to tell him that it was negative, she knew that he loved children and that wasn’t the reason that she was scared right now.

Fernando grinned before he moved to give Vanessa a kiss, he couldn’t believe that they were having a baby; he could see the nervousness in her eyes and he had a feeling that this had come as a surprise for her.

Vanessa closed her eyes as Fernando hugged her, she didn’t know how she would break the news that she had been keeping a secret from him.

Vanessa also knew that she would have to tell her father that she was pregnant; she was digging herself into a hole that she wanted to get out of as quickly as possible.

Vanessa needed advice and there was only one person that she could turn to right now that she trusted.