Part One - Chapter Twelve: Moving to Andorra

Nora pouted as she looked up at her father, her mother had brought her to the airport to say goodbye to him since Fernando was moving to Andorra with Vanessa.

“I don’t want you to go,” Nora whimpered hugging her father, she didn’t understand why he was leaving to live in another country without her; she wished that he could stay in London with her.

Fernando sighed and held her close, he hated that he was upsetting his daughter but he had to go; there was no other way around this since Olalla wasn’t going to let Nora leave with him.

“I know… but I’ll speak to you every day on the phone,” Fernando said trying to sooth Nora, it wasn’t possible for him to stay in London since he had to return to Andorra with Vanessa; she was going to be Queen one day and needed to return home.

Nora whimpered clinging to her father, she wished that Aaron was the one that was leaving instead; he had been nothing but rude since Vanessa had revealed that she was a princess.

Olalla watched her daughter, they had sorted everything out and there was no way that she was going to change her mind; Nora had to stay here with her and it would all be okay.

Olalla slowly reached out and took her daughter’s hand, she gently tugged her back to her side away from her father; she tried not to look at the hurt expression on Fernando’s face.

Fernando slowly got to his feet, he took a deep breath knowing that Olalla wasn’t doing this to hurt him; she was trying to protect Nora and he couldn’t hold that against her.

Nora blinked back tears, she didn’t understand why she couldn’t go with him and Vanessa; she liked living with them and she didn’t want to say goodbye to him.

Fernando took a shaky breath as Vanessa took his hand, he was nervous about leaving and he hoped nothing would ever come between him and Nora; she was his little girl and always would be.

***

Vanessa peeked up at her book and looked at Fernando, she chewed on her lip watching him stared out of the window as they flew to Andorra; she was worried about him and she couldn’t imagine how hard it was for him right now.

“Are you okay?” Vanessa asked closing her book, she used one of her fingers to hold the page and smiled a little at him wishing that there was some way to make this easier for him.

Fernando nodded his head, he offered Vanessa a small smile turning to look at her; he knew that she was worried but he would be okay, he was just going to miss his little girl.

“I’m fine… just thinking,” Fernando said taking Vanessa’s hand and pressing a kiss to it, he smiled a little knowing that he couldn’t regret leaving his life in London behind; Nora was the only thing that he wished was coming with him.

Vanessa stared at Fernando, she didn’t quite believe him and she wanted to make this better; she just didn’t know how, especially since Nora wouldn’t be allowed to move to Andorra by her mother.

“It’ll be okay, I’ll see her every six weeks it’ll just take some getting used to,” Fernando said trying to ease Vanessa’s mind, he would make his time with Nora special and he hoped that she would be okay now that he wasn’t living in London.

Vanessa nodded her head and kissed Fernando, she didn’t want to make things awkward between them; they had a lot going on and she wanted things to go well for them.

“I’m sorry,” Vanessa apologised brushing her fingers through Fernando’s hair, she didn’t know what she would do if he wasn’t here with her now.

Fernando shook his head and kissed Vanessa, he had made his decision and he had known that he’d have to leave Nora behind when he had made the decision that he had.

***

Vanessa chewed on her lip as they stepped into their home, she felt a little tired and she was glad to have a break before they were needed to do anything; she just wanted to make sure Fernando settled well.

“It’s nice to be back,” Fernando mused brushing her fingers through his hair, he smiled turning to look at Vanessa; he had enjoyed his last stay in their new home.

Fernando would miss their apartment but it would all work out okay, he was going to have to adjust to the fact that he now lived here; he had retired from football even if no one knew about it yet.

“Have you spoken with your parents?” Vanessa asked moving to sit down on the couch, she looked at Fernando knowing that while they were okay with everything that had happened; things could change once the news broke of their engagement.

Fernando nodded, he had spoken to them before their flight and he had tried to reassure his mother that everything was okay; he didn’t want Flori worrying about him when he was okay.

“They want us to fly out to see them in September,” Fernando said, he hadn’t seen his parents in months and he missed them; he wanted to be able to introduce them to his fiancée officially.

Vanessa nodded her head, she smiled up at Fernando as he sat down beside her and kissed her; she was sure that they’d be able to make the trip since it would be linked to their engagement.

Flori and José had been so supportive of their relationship and had welcomed Vanessa into their family when Fernando had introduced her to them; they truly liked her and she hoped that that fact hadn’t changed.

Fernando wrapped an arm around Vanessa and pulled her close, he rested his head on hers hoping that when they announced their engagement that things went well; he didn’t want any trouble.

“I have a meeting with parliament tomorrow,” Vanessa said closing her eyes, it would all start from there and she hoped that Fernando was prepared since there would be no going back.

Fernando pressed a kiss to the top of her head, he nodded his head and closed his eyes; he had been talking a lot with Anoushka about what to expect, he wanted to be as prepared as possible.

“Anoushka is coming round to help me get ready for the press conference and interview,” Fernando said, he was going to be as busy as she was preparing for their engagement announcement; he had things to learn and he was nervous about it.

Vanessa smiled, Anoushka wasn’t just one of her closest friends but she was also Vanessa’s assistant; if there was anyone who could help Fernando prepare for his new life then it would be her.

Fernando opened his eyes, he had no idea what would happen when they announced their engagement; they could only guess about how the world would react to the news but he hoped that Nora would be okay in London with Olalla.

“She’ll be okay Nando,” Vanessa said looking up at her fiancé, she was sure that it wouldn’t be so bad in London; she couldn’t offer the little girl any protection even if Fernando was her father.

Fernando nodded his head, they had talked through security issues and he would do his best to keep Nora safe; he wanted her to be protected if things got out of hand.

Olalla had no idea how bad this could get and she had refused to even consider having a couple of body guards around when the announcement was made.