Part One - Chapter Forty: Midnight Calls

Fernando grumbled annoyed as the bedside phone rang, he had no idea who could possibly be calling at this hour of the night but he hoped that it was important.

The last couple of months had been peaceful for the royal couple and Bojan’s christening had gone off without a hitch along with the birth of Olalla’s second daughter Isabel.

Vanessa turned over in her sleep cuddling closer to Fernando, it was a cold night and she was comfortable; she frowned a little when Fernando reached to answer the phone.

“Hola?” Fernando murmured rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he could only imagine who was calling them at this time of night in October; he looked at Vanessa who still had her eyes closed trying to sleep.

Fernando felt his stomach drop as he was delivered news that he certainly hadn’t been expecting, he almost dropped the phone as Anoushka spoke to him in a hurry; he couldn’t believe what was happening.

Vanessa looked up at her husband, he had gone so still and she could see that he’d gone pale at whatever was being said; she had known Fernando long enough to know that it wasn’t a good sign.

“Nando… what is it?” Vanessa asked concerned when her husband hung up the phone without saying a word to anyone, she swallowed trying to ignore the bad feeling that had formed in her stomach.

Fernando took a deep breath knowing that he needed to tell Vanessa, they had to leave now if they wanted to make it on time; he turned to his wife wishing that he didn’t have to tell her the news.

“It’s your padre… he’s been rushed to hospital,” Fernando murmured softly, he had no idea what was going to be waiting for them when they got to the hospital but he knew that it was going to be serious.

***

Vanessa hurried into the hospital waiting room followed by Fernando, paparazzi were already beginning to form outside of the hospital all wanting to know what had happened to the king.

Elizabeth was sat in a chair crying with Charlotte sitting next to her trying to comfort her in some way, they were in shock after having been called about George being rushed into hospital.

“What’s going on?” Vanessa asked walking towards her sister and grandmother, she had no idea what was going on only that her father had been rushed in after collapsing in a corridor of the palace.

Fernando stayed close to his wife, he had no intentions of leaving Vanessa alone and he was glad that they had someone watching Nora and Bojan right now; this was no place for children.

“Padre had a heart attack… he’s not going to make it,” Charlotte whispered looking to her older sister, she couldn’t believe what was happening and that their father had been ill in his last few months.

George had kept it a secret from everyone that he was ill, it was only now that he was in hospital that anyone knew what had been going on.

Vanessa felt her entire world collapse, her head trying to make sense of what she had been told; her father was dying and there was little that could be done for him now.

Fernando wrapped an arm around Vanessa and holding her close, he closed his eyes wishing that there was something that could be done; no one had seen this coming and he had no idea what would happen when George passed away, it wasn’t something he had expected to happen so soon.

“How long does he have?” Fernando murmured looking to his sister-in-law, he could only imagine what the country would do with George gone and Vanessa expected to step up.

***

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Vanessa asked sitting beside her father’s hospital bed, he had requested to speak with each of his children privately once he had woken up; he wanted to prepare them for what was coming.

Charlotte and Joseph had already spoken with George and now only Vanessa was left to speak with him; something that only seemed to spell the end for the King of Andorra.

“I didn’t want to worry you,” George murmured not able to speak louder, he was so tired now and wanted to sleep but he knew if he did then he would never wake up.

It had been hours since he had been admitted into hospital and the sun was now slowly starting to peek into his hospital room, the entire of Andorra was abuzz with what could be going on in there.

Vanessa closed her hazel eyes and tried to keep the tears back, she felt so lost and confused right now; she knew what would be expected of her when her father was past, she would be the Queen.

“You should have told me,” Vanessa whispered softly, she squeezed her father’s cold hand wanting nothing more for him to get better; however there would be no recovering from heart-failure now that he had only hours left to live.

George took a deep breath, he had prepared himself for his passing and he had every confidence that Fernando would look after Vanessa when he was gone; he was a wonderful man and would be able to support Vanessa as she adjusted to her new role.

“I know,” George responded watching Vanessa, he remembered how he had felt when his father, the late King Arthur, had passed away; it had only been nine years ago and it still hurt him now.

George could only imagine how his mother would act when he was gone, she had lost her husband and son from a similar illness and there was a chance she would flee the country.

“It’s going to be okay,” George continued wanting to support Vanessa in his final moments, he knew that his death was approaching and nothing could be done to change that; he wanted her to be strong with what was to come.

Vanessa sniffled trying to stop herself from breaking down, she wished she had more time with him and she could only watch as her father continued to slip away.

“You have a wonderful husband and children, they’ll support you when you need them most,” George breathed smiling, he was so happy that he got to watch one of his children get married and start a family.

George was sure that Bojan would one day be a wonderful little boy and he would be as clever as his mother and father; he had been pleased with the time that he had and he had done so much during his time as King.

“Don’t talk like that,” Vanessa whispered with a shake of her head, she had no idea what was going through his mind and she wished that she could make this all better.

George chuckled lightly, he closed his eyes trying to draw in his breath so that he could continue; he opened them again and blinked a little confused, he was sure that he could see his own father standing in the corner of the room watching him.

George wondered for a moment if Arthur had come to take him away, he stared for a moment longer before he turned to look at his daughter.

Vanessa sat quietly beside her father, his breathing starting to become more laboured and she knew that his time was starting to run out.

“Long live the Queen,” George whispered as he slipped away, he had done all he could for his country and now it was time for Vanessa to take over; the heart monitor beeped for a minute more before it flat-lined.

Vanessa clapped a hand over her mouth as she started to sob, her father was gone and she wasn’t sure that she could do this without him; she needed her daddy back. 

###

Author's Note: 

I actually cried writing this chapter.

The picture is Colin Firth from the King's Speech... it's how I've been imagining George for this story since I started writing it xxx