Part One - Chapter Twenty-Five: A Royal Christmas

"O little town of Bethlehem, How still we see thee lie," Vanessa sung along as she stood beside her father and siblings in church, she brushed her fingers against her bump and smiled knowing that it wouldn't be long until the baby would be with them.

Fernando and Nora were back at home enjoying their Christmas morning together, it wouldn't be for another year before Fernando would be joining them in the royal duties.

Vanessa was wearing a royal blue sheath ruched A-line square neckline knee-length dress paired with black pointed patent stilettos; her hair was pulled up in a bun away from her face so that she could see.

"Above thy deep and dreamless sleep, the silent stars go by," the royal gathering sang, most of Vanessa's relatives were in the church and that included her estranged mother.

Maria Delmore had been disappointed when Vanessa hadn't come to see her when her engagement had been announced, she had been furious when the pregnancy was announced and still Vanessa did not come and introduce Fernando to her.

Maria stared at the back of her daughter's head, she knew that her divorce from George had been a shock for her children but she was happily remarried now and she was sure that with Vanessa pregnant now that things would change.

Stefan Delmore took his wife's hand, he knew that she was upset with how things had worked out but things were better this way.

The service was nearly over and they would be heading back to their home in Pal, Stefan didn't wish to attract any attention especially after how Maria's marriage broke down.

***

Vanessa laughed quietly as she pulled on her black double breasted pea coat, she was walking with Charlotte and she was relieved that in a couple of hours that she would get to go home to her fiancé.

"So how are the wedding plans going?" Charlotte asked linking arms with her sister while they walked towards the waiting cars, they would head off to the Christmas lunch.

Vanessa smiled, things seemed to be going well and she spoke with her dress designer often to hear progress on her dress; she was glad that no one had discovered who her dress designer was.

"Things are going well..." Vanessa said smiling, she felt the hairs stand up on the back of her neck; she didn't have to look behind her to know that her mother was staring at her.

Maria had made it clear years ago, that she was only interested in her new husband and that her children didn't matter to her; Vanessa could never forgive her for that.

"Have you decided on what I will be wearing?" Charlotte asked, she was going to be Vanessa's maid-of-honour and she was curious about what colours she would be wearing.

Fernando had decided to ask his older brother to be his best man, he wanted it to be a family thing since they wouldn't be having a lot of people as part of the bridal party.

"I'm thinking light colours," Vanessa said making Charlotte nod, she peeked over at the crowds that had still gathered on the chill morning to watch them.

Vanessa waved to the people as Jorge opened the car door for her, Charlotte grinned as she slide into the car first before she was followed by Vanessa; the two women wanted to get home to their men.

Maria watched her daughters' leave, she wished that they would speak to her and if they weren't going to do it willingly then she would have to force the situation.

***

"Nessa," Nora said thrilled when she heard the brunette coming into the house, she had spent the morning with her father and Biscuit; the puppy quickly on Nora's heels wagging his tail.

Vanessa smiled pulling off her coat, it had been a long morning and she was glad to get home to her fiancé and his daughter; she peeked at Fernando as Nora hugged her knees.

Vanessa brushed her fingers through Nora's hair, her bump made it difficult for her to bend now; she was twenty-five weeks pregnant and the bump was only getting bigger.

"How was your morning?" Vanessa asked smiling down at Nora, she couldn't wait to get out of her dress, and she wanted to relax with her small family after spending most of the day away from them.

Fernando smiled watching Vanessa with Nora, he had wanted to wait until she came home to celebrate Christmas but she had insisted that they start without her.

"I opened all my presents and papa made his special Christmas breakfast," Nora said grinning, she loved it when her father cooked and Fernando always tried his hardest for her.

Vanessa nodded her head, she knew the breakfast that Nora talked about and she was a little upset that she had missed out on it because of her duties.

"I was thinking we could have dinner about five," Fernando said knowing that he wanted to enjoy some part of Christmas with Vanessa, he hated that he hadn't been able to spend the entire day with her but that would all change when they were married next year.

Biscuit wagged his tail as he and Nora rushed back to the living room to play, she was still excited about the holidays since she got to spend them with her father.

"That sounds great," Vanessa said walking over to her fiancé, she had eaten lightly at the lunch since she knew that she would be eating again with Fernando and Nora; she wanted to enjoy her dinner with them.

"How was the church service?" Fernando asked walking over to his fiancée and wrapping his arms around her, he held her close knowing that she had been worried about her mother approaching her.

Fernando had never met Vanessa's mother but he knew that she had chosen a man over her own children; he was always going to do the best for his own children no matter what happened.

"It was good," Vanessa said kissing him, she was just glad to be home now and she didn't have to worry about seeing her mother again.

Vanessa wanted to enjoy the day and she was sure that it would be a long time before she was forced to face her mother again, she had a feeling that Maria would try to see her closer to the birth of the baby or her wedding day.

"I'm glad," Fernando said holding Vanessa close, he didn't know what he would have done if Maria would have caused any issues for his fiancée.

Vanessa smiled kissing Fernando, she was glad that they were okay and that nothing was getting in their way; they had fifteen weeks until the baby was born and they still had some work to do.

"I did some work on the nursery today," Fernando said smiling, he had been working hard on it and he had refused to let Vanessa see it; Nora had been so helpful when it came to preparing the nursery for her baby brother.

Vanessa looked up at Fernando, she was excited to see what he had done with the room that they had picked; they had chosen the one to the right of Nora's bedroom.

"Can I see it soon?" Vanessa said, she had no idea what colour the room would be but she was sure that Fernando had picked well; he had wanted to do the room himself without professional help.

Fernando shook his head, he wanted everything to be perfect before he showed Vanessa the nursery for Niño.