Part One - Chapter Thirty-Nine: A Little Worried

“I can’t believe that Charlotte is engaged,” Vanessa murmured settling on the couch with Bojan in her arms, it hadn’t been long since her own wedding and now her younger sister was announcing her own engagement.

Fernando nodded his head, he sat down next to his wife who was feeding Bojan; he hadn’t expected Charlotte’s sudden engagement but he knew that she was happy with Henri.

The couple had been surprised when they had found out the day before that Charlotte was engaged, it had been a nice surprise and the palace was preparing for yet another royal wedding.

Charlotte was insistent that she would marry in April the following year, she wanted a spring wedding and Henri had agreed; it gave them a sense of uniqueness since Vanessa and Fernando had enjoyed a summer wedding.

“They look very happy,” Fernando mused watching Charlotte and Henri on television, he could still remember when it had been him and Vanessa doing that; it had been nearly a year now and things had gotten better for them.

Bojan babbled as Vanessa finished feeding him his bottle, she pressed a kiss to the top of her son’s head wondering how she would feel when it was his wedding day.

Vanessa hoped that Bojan would stay her little boy forever, he was so cute right now and at four months old; she couldn’t believe how big he was getting.

“We’ll need to start thinking about his christening,” Fernando said looking at Vanessa, they were meant to have Bojan’s christening next month and had yet to do any planning for it.

Vanessa nodded her head, she handed Bojan over to Fernando wondering what they were going to do; they wanted a simple affair since they had a lot happening and they still needed to pick god-parents.

***

“When is Nora back from Olalla’s?” Vanessa asked fanning herself, it was a hot day in August and she knew it was only going to get hotter; she watched Fernando with Bojan and Biscuit.

The couple had moved into their back garden after lunch to enjoy the weather, it was a rare afternoon were they didn’t have any plans; it was nice that they could just relax and enjoy themselves.

Fernando sighed, he knew that this was part of the custody agreement that he had with Olalla and that Nora enjoyed being with her mother; it still wasn’t easy for him to be so far away from his daughter.

“The end of August… just before school starts again,” Fernando replied looking to Vanessa, he was sure that Nora would be fine with her mother until then; the little girl knew that he was only a phone call away and she could come back whenever she wanted.

Vanessa nodded, she knew that Olalla wanted to spend a lot of time with Nora before the new baby was born; she was due in the middle of September was going to be super busy.

Biscuit bounced over to Vanessa and wagged his tail, he tilted his head making the brunette smile as she petted his head; he had gotten so big since they had gotten him for Christmas.

“Nessa…” Fernando murmured picking Bojan up and started to walk towards his wife, he wanted to talk to her about what was going on with her father.

Vanessa stared at Fernando, she had a feeling that she knew that this was about whatever was bothering him; he hadn’t said a word about it but she could see that it was still on his mind.

“Has your padre said anything to you?” Fernando asked already knowing the answer, he was sure if George had said anything then his wife would have told him.

Vanessa stared at Fernando oddly, she had no idea what he was talking about but she guessed that it had to be something; she shook her head as Fernando sat down next to her with Bojan on his lap.

“He said something to me at Nora’s party and it made me a little concerned,” Fernando murmured softly, he didn’t want to worry Vanessa over nothing and he was sure he could have been reading too much into it.

Vanessa watched her husband, she had no idea where he was going with this and she doubted that Fernando would bring it up if it was nothing; he wouldn’t want to worry her unless he truly thought something was wrong.

“What did he say?” Vanessa asked taking her husband’s hand, she trusted Fernando and he would have only brought this up if he had thought that it wasn’t important.

Fernando looked at his wife for a moment, he didn’t want to worry her but he honestly worried that there was something wrong with George and he was keeping it to himself.

“He told me… I would make a great king one day,” Fernando replied knowing that it was silly, he watched Vanessa as she raised an eyebrow at him; he sighed chewing his lip wondering if it was all in his head.

Vanessa watched Fernando, she knew that there was more to it and that was why she reframed from commenting on what he had said.

“It was the way that he said it… it was like he knew something that I didn’t,” Fernando continued, his brown eyes searching his wife’s face; he knew what would happen if there was something wrong with George and he worried what affect that would have on her.

Vanessa was silent, she knew that her father had a lot on his plate and she too had noticed his odd behaviour as of late; she had no idea what was going on but that didn’t mean she couldn’t find out.

***

George took deep breathes as he tried to regain his breath, he was fed up with the breathlessness that he had been experiencing since he had been diagnosed; the doctor had warned it would get worse and it slowly was.

George shook his head, he had chosen his path and he still had months left according to Charles; he refused to ruin the happy mood that had settled upon his family.

Vanessa was happily married and had a baby, Charlotte had just gotten engaged and Joseph was apparently courting the lovely Lady Grace Millbrook who was the daughter of the Earl of La Massana; everything was wonderful within his family.

George sighed moving to sit at his desk, he didn’t have much time left and he knew that he was going to have to make the time that he had left count; he wanted to leave his family with happy memories.

George looked out of the window of his office and thought for a moment before he reached for some paper and his trusty pen; if he was going to leave his loved ones behind then he wished to leave them some comforting words that they could turn to.

George paused for a moment, he knew that his poor mother would be devastated when he past and he doubted very much that she would want to remain in Andorra; it would be too painful for her, but he didn’t wish for her to abandon Vanessa when it came time for her to become Queen.

Vanessa would become Queen as soon as George had past but her coronation wouldn’t take place until months later; it was tradition and George knew it wouldn’t change.

Clearing his throat, George thought for a moment about what he wished to say and he hoped that everything was going to be okay with his family when he was gone.

“My dearest Vanessa…” George murmured as he started to write, he worked slowly knowing that if he rushed then he would get pains in his arm again; this was the least that he could offer his dear children.

###

Author's Note: 

Only a few more chapters left until Part Two xxx