Part One - Chapter Eleven: Grown Up Talks

Olalla looked at her ex-boyfriend, she knew what he wished to talk about and now that their daughter had gone to bed it was the perfect time for them to talk about what would happen now.

Sitting down next to Aaron, Olalla took a deep breath and tried to keep calm for the conversation ahead; she had encouraged Fernando in his relationship when he had been unsure about what to do.

Fernando chewed on his lip, he didn’t know what to say and he had a feeling that this would be difficult; the last thing that he wanted was for them to involve their lawyers.

“Obviously Nora will remain here with her mother and I since she’s enrolled in school here,” Aaron said starting the conversation, they couldn’t avoid this and the sooner that everyone had come to an understanding the better it would be for Nora.

Fernando nodded his head in agreement, he didn’t wish to interrupt his daughter’s education and he wouldn’t see her for weeks at a time when they moved to Andorra.

“I’d like to have her for school breaks and a couple of holidays,” Fernando said trying to keep things easy, it seemed fair since he wouldn’t get to see her much during the school year.

Fernando would have her for six-seven weeks of the school year, while Olalla would have her for most of the rest; it seemed fair that they would divide the summer holidays and a little of the Christmas ones.

“I’d continue to pay her school fees,” Fernando said reassuring Olalla, he would never let his daughter go without even if he wouldn’t get to see her much; he was trying to be fair since he was the one that was moving.

Olalla nodded her head, it was the only way that they could do this and she wasn’t going to let her daughter suffer; Nora deserved to have some time with her father even if he was moving on with his life.

“We don’t need your money,” Aaron said shortly glaring at the other man, he didn’t care if it was money that Fernando had earned while he was a footballer; it would be dirty money because of what Fernando was going to become.

Vanessa took Fernando’s hand, she had a feeling that Aaron was going to be a problem; he had been far from welcoming all evening and she feared that he would make things worse.

“What is your problem?” Fernando snapped, he didn’t like the tone that Aaron had been using all evening; he didn’t want anything to get in the way of his relationship with Nora.

Olalla shifted nervously, her husband was anti-monarchy and she was sure that his behaviour all evening had been linked to that.

“I don’t want Nora getting an idea that it’s okay not to work… she’s brighter than that,” Aaron said glaring at Vanessa, she did nothing for the money that she earned and he didn’t want Nora thinking that was normal.

Aaron wanted the best for his step-daughter, he wanted her to go to university and become a teacher like he had; he didn’t want her following in her father’s footsteps.

“You think I do nothing?” Vanessa said, she was used to dealing with people like Aaron but it annoyed her that he was judging her when he knew how hard she had worked to do well on her course at university.

Vanessa had known Aaron since she had started dating Fernando and only now did she realise that he wouldn’t see her as a person anymore; it hurt and she was going to have to get used to it.

“I don’t think… I know,” Aaron said sure of himself, nothing Vanessa could say would change what he thought; he knew that every country would be better without a monarchy of people who did nothing but sit around and get money for it.

“She doesn’t do nothing… Vanessa is an ambassador for her country, she is her people and she does her best to protect them,” Fernando said trying to stay calm, he wasn’t going to shout since he didn’t wish to wake Nora up.

Olalla stopped Aaron from arguing, this would get them nowhere and she hoped that this wasn’t going to cause them any trouble; the last thing they all wanted was a custody battle.

“Forget it… speak with your lawyers Torres, you aren’t going to take Nora down with you,” Aaron said pulling his hand from Olalla’s before he got to his feet and stormed out of the room; he would stop Nora from seeing her father if that was what it took to protect her.

Fernando glared after Aaron, he had liked the man until now and he couldn’t believe that this was happening; they were meant to be adults and he wanted this sorted out.

“I’m sorry about that,” Olalla said carefully, her husband meant what she had said but he had no right to dictate what would happen with Nora; she wasn’t his daughter and he had no say in what she could and couldn’t do.

Fernando nodded his head, he had a feeling that this was only the first time that they would be having this talk; he just hoped that Aaron wouldn’t try to poison Nora against him.

“I announce my retirement at the end of the month, I would like things sorted before then,” Fernando said watching Olalla, the engagement would be announced on the 28th of August and he wanted things to be settled between him and Olalla about what would happen with Nora.

***

Vanessa brushed her fingers through her hair, she was glad to be home and she hoped that things would be okay; she didn’t want Fernando feeling like he had to choose between her and the baby and Nora.

“Dinner went well,” Fernando mused settling down on their bed, he watched Vanessa while she slipped off her shoes; the night had gone okay and he was sure that Olalla would be able to talk sense into her husband.

Vanessa nodded her head, she moved to sit down next to her fiancé; the next few months were going to be busy and she was already getting schedules from Anoushka about how her life was going to look.

The 28th of August would be their engagement announcement and Fernando’s retirement from football, the 4th of November would be their pregnancy announcement when she was about eighteen weeks; then the year after they would be expecting their baby in April and then in June they would be getting married.

“It’s going to be a busy year,” Fernando said wrapping his arms around Vanessa, he held her close wishing that he could make it easier for them; so much had to happen and he didn’t want more issues than they already needed.

Vanessa cuddled into his arms, she had no idea how they would cope and she was hoping that the move to Andorra in a couple of weeks would be easy on them.

“We’ll be okay,” Vanessa said looking up at Fernando, she kissed his cheek wanting nothing more than to ease all of the tension; she had no idea how everything would play out once the announcement of their engagement was made.

“I know we will… I love you Nessa,” Fernando said kissing his fiancée, he was glad that he had asked her to marry him and he didn’t care what Aaron thought; he had spoken with his parents and they were happy for him.

Vanessa wrapped her arms around his neck while they kissed, this was everything that she had ever wanted and she wasn’t going to let Fernando slip through her fingers.

It would take both of them working hard to make sure that their relationship didn’t suffer in anyway; they were happy and had a baby coming that was what mattered.