Part Two - Chapter Twenty-One: Safe at Home

Fernando smiled making sure that Bojan was okay, he ran his fingers through his son's hair and he couldn't imagine what was going through his little mind; it had been a stressful day for him. 

Fernando still couldn't believe what had happened, he had refused to let his family out of his sight and he couldn't shake the thought about how badly this could have ended if it weren't for security. 

Stefan could have killed Vanessa and Bojan, a fact that Fernando couldn't wrap his head around and the man would never get that chance again; he hoped he rotted in prison for what he had tried to do. 

Fernando brushed his fingers through Bojan's hair while the little boy slept, he prayed that he never had to go through anything like this again; he didn't know what he would do if something happened to his family. 

Pressing a kiss to the top of Bojan's head, Fernando sighed before leaving his son to sleep; he couldn't wrap his head around what Stefan had been attempting to do and he hoped that he never found out. 

It had been a desperate move for him to approach Vanessa like that, he had been armed and Fernando knew that he could have easily killed his family; he hated that he hadn't been there with them when this had happened. 

Fernando had done his best to keep things as calm as possible for Nora and Bojan, they didn't deserve the press swarming all over them and harassing them when this wasn't their fault. 

The palace had released an official statement on what had happened and Fernando knew that there would be no hiding the fact that it had been Vanessa's step-father; he wondered how long it would be before Maria was complaining about the fact that her husband was in prison. 

The police hoped to keep Stefan under lock and key so that he wouldn't be able to be released with bail, he was a threat to the royal family and would be treated as such.

***

Vanessa sat back in the bathtub and tried to relax, she brushed her fingers over the small bump that was slowly beginning to form; she couldn't believe what had happened, she doubted it would be easy to forget anytime soon. 

Vanessa was just glad that security had intervened when they had, she didn't want to think about what could have happened if they hadn't; Stefan had been armed and he wouldn't have taken no for an answer. 

The sound of the bathroom door opening snapped Vanessa out of her thoughts, she looked at Fernando as he entered the room; he had been so protective of her and their children since the incident. 

"Bojan's asleep," Fernando murmured moving to sit down next to the bath, he watched Vanessa and he wanted nothing more than to keep her safe; he couldn't bear the thought of something happen to her. 

Vanessa nodded her head, she watched Fernando knowing that this wasn't going to be easy for them; things would take time to go back to normal for the couple. 

Fernando gently moved to brush his fingers against the small bump, he was just glad that everyone was okay; he feared what might have happened and he knew that things would be okay. 

Security was going to be stepped up and no one was going to get close to the family again, Vanessa was the Queen and they didn't want anyone thinking that they could assassinate her. 

"Nando," Vanessa whispered taking his hand, she could see that he was worried and she didn't want him thinking about what could have happened. 

Fernando watched his wife and shook his head, he couldn't forget what could have happened to her and Bojan; he was scared and he wished that he could protect his family.

Vanessa sat up a little, she wanted nothing more than to ease his mind and she hated that things were so tense right now; Stefan wasn't going to get a second chance to come anywhere near the family. 

"It's going to be okay," Vanessa reassured, she brushed her fingers gently through his hair and she hoped that he wasn't going to do something stupid; she knew how protective he could get when he was worried. 

Fernando closed his eyes, he wanted to believe her and he knew that they had some of the best protection in the world but he didn't like how Stefan had been able to break into the palace and get so close to his pregnant wife and son. 

"I can't lose you Nessa," Fernando whispered shaking his head, he didn't know what he would ever do without her; she was everything to him and he knew that if something did happen then he would be expected to just carry on without her. 

Vanessa sighed wishing that there was some way to ease his mind, she knew how close they had been and she doubted that this would be the last time that something like this happened; they couldn't let fear rule their lives. 

"You will never lose me," Vanessa said trying to comfort him, she didn't think that things would change and she was sure that Jorge would be able to keep an eye on things. 

Fernando swallowed wanting to believe her but he knew that they were just going to have to be more careful; the family would be out of the lime-light for a while after what had happened and by the time they returned to it the world would know Vanessa was pregnant again. 

The announcement was scheduled to happen in a few weeks and Vanessa already being about twelve weeks meant that everything was going so perfect for them.

***

Maria pursed her lips as she stared at the television, it was all over the news about what Stefan had done and there were rumours that he would lose his title for trying to murder the Queen. 

Maria sipped on her wine knowing that if that happened that she would be filing for divorce, that title was the only reason why she had stayed with Stefan for so long; she had lost her original one by having her affair, she wanted to keep any title she could get now. 

Vanessa wasn't coming around and Maria knew that she had lost her chance of ever building a relationship with her eldest daughter now that Stefan had messed this up; she was the Queen's mother and deserved to be recognised as such. 

Maria wrinkled her nose as the news report moved on to talk about the wedding of her son and his partner, they would be getting married in September and Maria couldn't believe that Vanessa was allowing such a thing; it would ruin the royal line by letting Joseph marry Ethan. 

Maria couldn't think of anyway that she could get her daughters to speak to her, Charlotte was happily married and Maria hadn't even been invited to that wedding; it had hurt to see her daughter so happy without her. 

It didn't make any sense to Maria why her children hadn't turned to her after George had passed away, she had hoped that with him gone that her children would close the gap and welcome her back into their lives. 

Maria clicked her tongue before moving to pour herself another glass, she had no idea what to do but she was sure that this wasn't over; she knew that things would change when the time was right. 

Vanessa was going to need her mother sooner or later, Elizabeth wasn't helping anymore and Maria knew that she just had to wait a little longer.