Part One - Chapter Nine: Back in London

Vanessa grumbled to herself as she sorted through her suitcase, she was splitting her clothes into piles so that she could wash them; she was glad to be home even thought she had no idea how long she would be staying.

Fernando was on the phone speaking with Olalla about seeing her and Nora that evening, he had things to talk about with his former girlfriend and how things were going to change now.

Vanessa brushed some hair from her face, she wasn’t sure how they were going to cope with her pregnancy but she was six weeks pregnant right now and they had a long way to go.

Vanessa wiped her hands on her jeans before she moved to unpack Fernando’s suitcase, she didn’t see the harm in separating his clothes into piles; it would make less washing to do in the end.

It didn’t take long for Vanessa to split all the clothes into piles, she smiled to herself before she reached for the final items.

Vanessa paused when she heard something thump against the floor, she looked around wondering what she had dropped; she frowned not seeing anything before she grumbled and getting to her knees to look under the bed.

It was at that moment that Fernando walked into the room, he raised an eyebrow at the sight of his girlfriend looking under the bed for something.

“I dropped something...” Vanessa explained spotting the look that Fernando gave her, she smiled before moving to find what she had dropped.

Fernando shook his head and sit in the chair to check what needed washing, he chewed on his lip wondering how he would talk to Olalla about their current custody agreement when he could be moving to Andorra.

“I’m going to see them this afternoon,” Fernando said knowing that he would have to have a serious talk with Olalla about what was going to happen now.

“We’ll have to talk about custody,” Fernando mused, he chewed on his lip wondering how he would fit Nora into his life; he didn’t want to lose her and he wanted to make sure that she was a part of his life no matter what.

Vanessa continued to search under the bed, her hand coming into contact with a small hard object; she smiled triumphantly before wiggling out from under the bed.

Vanessa paused as Fernando continued to talk about the conversation that he’d had with Olalla; she stared at the black box that she had in her hands.

Vanessa slowly opened it and stared at the platinum halo cluster diamond engagement ring that was inside; she made a small shocked noise catching Fernando’s full attention.

“Nando…” Vanessa whispered turning to look at Fernando, she felt speechless and she didn’t know what to say; she stared at him expecting an answer for what she had found.

Fernando stared at his girlfriend, she had found the engagement ring and he hadn’t planned on it happening like this; he wanted this to be perfect.

Vanessa looked at Fernando, she was wearing purple long sleeve bubble hem blouse and mid-wash jeggings paired with grey wide fit ballet pumps from their flight back from Andorra and holding an engagement ring.

“You weren’t meant to find that,” Fernando whispered slowly getting to his feet, he didn’t know what to say right now to the fact that she had found the ring.

Vanessa blinked as he slowly took the ring from her, she swallowed staring up at him wondering what was going to happen now; she hadn’t been expecting him to propose.

Fernando chewed on his lip wondering what to do, this isn’t how he wanted to pop the question and they were only just home from Andorra; he wanted it to be special for them.

Vanessa watched Fernando carefully as he brushed his fingers through his hair, she moved to sit on their bed wondering what was going on; she couldn’t believe that she hadn’t realised that he had planned this.

“Vanessa Sophia Olivia Bellcroft… will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?” Fernando asked plucking up the courage and getting down on one knee, he smiled up at her knowing that this wasn’t how he wanted to do it but he couldn’t resist doing it now.

Vanessa stared at Fernando, she didn’t know if he had truly thought about what he was doing; things would change and there would be no going back any more.

“You know if I say yes that you won’t be able to play football anymore, we’ll have to move to Andorra and one day I will be Queen of a country…” Vanessa said trying to make sure that Fernando knew what he was getting himself into by asking her to marry him.

Vanessa didn’t want to say yes only for Fernando to change his mind later on, she wanted him to be completely sure about this; she didn’t want to have her heart broken in anyway.

“I know… I would happy leave football behind for you, I’m more than ready to retire and settle down, I don’t care that you’re going to be Queen,” Fernando said kissing Vanessa, he didn’t blame her for being wary about this and he had thought long and since finding out that she was royalty. 

Vanessa watched her boyfriend for a moment, it was going to be a massive step for them and she couldn’t help but wonder if they would be strong enough for that.

“Nessa… this is what I want, you and our baby,” Fernando whispered softly, he kissed her wanting to prove that this was what he truly wanted; he didn’t care about all the strings attached just that he would get to one day call Vanessa his wife.

Vanessa stared at Fernando, she wondered how on earth she had managed to find such a sweet and perfect man; he was everything that she could have asked for.

“Yes… I will marry you,” Vanessa whispered, she blinked back tears as Fernando grinned and slipped the engagement ring onto her ring finger; he pushed himself up and kissed Vanessa knowing that he wasn’t going to regret this.

Fernando rested his head against hers, allowing the brunette to wrap her arms around him; he would announce his retirement before they announced their engagement so that they could move to Andorra.

Fernando just worried how he would handle things with Nora, he wouldn’t be able to take his daughter with him and he had so many unanswered questions about her.

Vanessa closed her hazel eyes and held Fernando close, she had no idea how things would happen now for them; things would change and they would have to say goodbye to their quiet lives here in London.

“How would you feel about a June wedding?” Fernando asked pulling back from Vanessa, he doubted that they’d have a long engagement and they were expecting their baby in April.

Vanessa blinked in surprise at what he was suggesting, she swallowed curious about how much he knew about royal protocol and it made her a little more relaxed that he might understand.

“June?” Vanessa breathed making Fernando nod, it would be two months after the birth of their baby and a month before Nora’s birthday and their anniversary; he wanted to make the date special.

Fernando kissed Vanessa, he would have to go and speak to Olalla about the decisions that he was making since they would affect her; he had needed to know where he stood in regards to Nora.

Vanessa brushed her fingers through Fernando’s brown hair, she stared at him taken back that he had thought about this and their wedding date; it wasn’t going to be easy when the world found out.