Part One - Chapter Thirty-Two: The Night Before

Vanessa sighed as she stepped into her childhood bedroom, she balanced Bojan on her hip and pressed a kiss to the top of her son’s head; she would be spending the night here and away from Fernando.

Tomorrow was their wedding day and Vanessa couldn’t wait, she was sure that the day would go off without a hitch and everything was finally in place for the wedding.

Bojan babbled tiredly, he was eleven weeks old now and he looked a little more like Fernando with each passing day; he was clearly his father’s son and there was no denying that fact.

Fernando slowly followed after her, he wasn’t looking forward to being away from Vanessa or Bojan but there was no way around it; he would have to stay away because of tradition.

“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” Fernando asked again, he didn’t want to be away from his fiancée and son but he knew there was no way around it; it was a tradition that she stayed at the palace on the night before her wedding.

Vanessa nodded her head, she was sure that they would be fine on their own for the night; she looked at Fernando as he set down her bag, she knew he was worried about being away from them and she didn’t blame him.

“We’ll be fine Nando… I know you’re only a phone call away,” Vanessa reassured smiling a little, she could see that he was a little nervous but she was sure that all would be fine.

Fernando nodded and moved to take Bojan from Vanessa, he cuddled his son knowing that tonight would be difficult; he didn’t want to be parted from his family but it was only for one night.

“If you need me call me,” Fernando said looking at Vanessa, he wasn’t happy about this but he would do it for her; it was one night and he was sure that he could cope with that.

***

Checking on Bojan, Vanessa smiled as she stared down at her little boy and watched him sleep soundly; she ran her fingers through her damp hair, she was a little worried about what would happen tomorrow.

Vanessa pressed a gently kiss to the top of Bojan’s head, he was sleeping soundly in his cot for the night; she watched him knowing that after tomorrow everything would be perfect.

“We’ll see your papa soon,” Vanessa whispered knowing that she needed a good night’s sleep, she didn’t want bags under her eyes on her wedding day and she was sure the royal stylist would have a fit if she wasn’t rested for the big day.

Vanessa walked away from Bojan and moved to climb into bed, she was sure that she would fall asleep in no time; she blinked surprised as Charlotte hurried into the bedroom holding a bottle of champagne and a couple of glasses.

“What are you doing?” Vanessa asked wondering what was going on in her sister’s mind, she watched her sister wondering what she was doing.

Charlotte grinned as she opened the bottle, she couldn’t resist celebrating her sister’s impending marriage; she was excited and she loved the dress that she would be wearing for the big day.

“I think we should have a little toast,” Charlotte said handing a glass to Vanessa, she slowly moved to pour a drink for both of them; she was sure no one would miss the bottle since there were so many downstairs for the reception.

Vanessa sighed and nodded her head, she was a little nervous about her wedding and there were going to be so many people coming to watch her marry Fernando that she was sure that one mistake would make headlines.

Charlotte grinned, she knew that her sister had a lot on her mind and she wanted to try and take her mind off what she was going to do.

“How are you feeling?” Charlotte quizzed with a cheeky smile, she sipped on her drink and watched her sister; she was sure that Vanessa would be nervous and she couldn’t imagine her walking down the aisle yet.

Charlotte was thrilled at the pastel pink A-line spaghetti straps floor-length dress that she would be wearing as her sister’s maid of honour, she was excited and she knew that when the time came that Vanessa would return the favour for her.

“A little nervous… excited,” Vanessa replied with a smile, it was a big step that she was taking with Fernando and she was excited to be taking the step with him; she loved him so much.

Charlotte grinned, she had never seen her older sister like this and she was sure that everything would work out perfectly; Fernando would be a wonderful addition to the family and he was great with Bojan.

“So what is happening with you and Henri?” Vanessa queried watching her sister, she was sure that Charlotte would be the next to marry and it wouldn’t be long now until Henri popped the question.

The younger Bellcroft sister blushed at the mention of her boyfriend of five years, things were going so well between them that she was sure that her sister’s wedding would push him to propose.

Vanessa smiled when Charlotte slowly started to open up about her relationship with Henri, she had missed spending time like this with her sister.

“Charlotte Amelia Lucy Bellcroft… are you keeping the bride awake?” Joseph said scandalised as he stepped into his sister’s room, he grinned having heard from his own room.

Vanessa giggled softly as her younger brother hurried over to join them and jumped onto the bed; she couldn’t remember the last time it had been the three of them like this.

***

George sipped on his whiskey as he looked out of his office window, he knew that tomorrow his eldest daughter would marry; he was a little amazed that it had all come around so quickly.

Shaking his head, George sighed wondering how his father would feel about a footballer marrying into the royal-line; it was something that George had never thought would happen but he was just happy that Vanessa was happy.

A knock on the door made George sigh as he sipped on his drink, he knew that several people were worried about him but he was perfectly fine.

“Sorry to disturb you Your Majesty,” Anoushka said stepping into the room, it was late at night and she had just been checking on the final arrangements for the next morning.

George looked at the assistant, he knew why she had come and he hoped that she had been able to keep his secret; he knew that no one could learn that he wasn’t well.

“I’m not going to tell her Anoushka… she deserves to enjoy things while she can,” George stated turning to look at the woman, he didn’t want to take away from the day that Vanessa was about to have; he wanted it to be special to her for all of the right reasons.

Anoushka sighed looking at the king, she knew that if she told Vanessa herself then she would lose her job; she was sworn to secrecy and she feared that it would come at a cost.

“But what about what your doctor said,” Anoushka reminded him, she knew that George was keeping a lot of secrets from his family but they wouldn’t be secrets forever.

George sighed and closed his eyes, he wasn’t going to ruin Vanessa’s wedding day over some silly little health concern; he would be fine and if things didn’t improve then he would tell his daughter.

Vanessa might be Queen a lot sooner than planned and Anoushka wasn’t sure her friend was ready for that.