Part One - Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Summer Fete

Fernando took a deep breath as he held Vanessa from the car, Bojan was back at the house with the nanny that had been hired for when both of his parents were busy on duties.

It had been a joint decision by the couple to hire Stephanie, she would watch Nora and Bojan during the summer while they were busy; they didn’t want to over expose the children to the press.

Vanessa smiled at Fernando, she knew how nervous he was and she was sure that a simple summer fete would be easy for them; they had a lot to look forward to in the coming months.

Fernando swallowed as the organiser stepped forward to greet them, he was still getting used to the fact that people bowed to him; he didn’t think that he would ever get used to that fact.

Vanessa peeked at Fernando, she knew how nerve-wracking this could be and she recalled her first solo duty; she wasn’t able to reach out and comfort him in anyway.

“It’s a pleasure Your Royal Highness,” the organiser greeted bowing down to Vanessa, he shook her hand knowing that it was a good sign for the fete to have the Duke and Duchess of Santa Coloma in attendance on the first day.

Fernando shook the man’s hand when he moved to greet him, he was very aware that everyone was watching them and he had never experienced this in his life.

“Relax,” Vanessa whispered to her husband as they followed after the excited organiser, she was sure that this would be fine; she doubted that there was anything that could really bring the day down for either of them.

Fernando nodded his head, he knew that she was right but that didn’t easy the tension that he felt; he had done a lot of research to know what to expect but it didn’t make him anymore relaxed.

Vanessa sighed, she hoped that he wouldn’t be able to see that this wasn’t going to be so bad; they wouldn’t have to stay long only open the annual summer fete for the general public.

***

Vanessa brushed some hair from her face as she spoke happily with one of the stall owners, a light smile on her lips; this was one part of her job that she loved and it made her day to speak with people.

Fernando watched his wife from a small distance away, he thought that she looked beautiful dressed in her black sleeveless cowl neck blouse and black pinstripe bootcut suit trousers paired with T-bar court heels.

Fernando sipped on his coffee, he still hadn’t said anything to her about what had happened with George; he wasn’t sure what was going on with his father-in-law but he knew it couldn’t be good whatever it was.

“Don’t think too hard,” Vanessa teased walking back towards her husband, her feet were starting to ache after being on them nearly all morning; she was sure that everything was going to be okay.

Fernando snorted amused, a smile forming on his lips knowing that he was glad that he was here with her; he could only imagine what it would be like to do his solo duty.

It was only a matter of time and Fernando was sure that it was just around the corner, he wasn’t looking forward to it even if he knew that he had to do it.

Vanessa sat down next to her husband and crossed her legs, she wasn’t sure what was on his mind; she looked around knowing that they wouldn’t be staying much longer.

The couple had spent the morning talking with a lot of people and the summer fete was successfully underway, they wanted to get back to their children knowing that they didn’t want to leave their children alone for too long.

“What’s on your mind?” Vanessa asked sensing that something was bothering her husband, she had noticed that he had been a little quiet lately and she wondered if this was all becoming too much for him.

Fernando stared at his wife, he knew that she was still worried that he would find all of this too much but that wasn’t the problem; he still worried that something was wrong with George.

“It’s nothing Nessa… I’m just worried about Bojan,” Fernando reassured her, he knew that it wasn’t the answer that she would want but he had no other answer right now; he had no idea what was going on with his father-in-law and didn’t want to worry her when it could be nothing.

Vanessa slowly nodded her head, she didn’t entirely believe him and she was sure he would tell her when he was ready; she leant forward and kissed her husband not caring if people saw them and took pictures.

“I love you,” Fernando murmured softly, he smiled at Vanessa wanting nothing more than to spend time with her; he was glad that they could steal moments like this and he hoped that nothing would ever change.

Vanessa smiled murmuring the words back before Jorge cleared his throat making the couple pull apart, they weren’t surprised that he had done so since it was his job to protect them.

Fernando rested his head against Vanessa’s for a moment, he loved her so much and the last thing that he wanted was for his wife to suffer; she deserved better and he had to find out what George was hiding so that he could protect his family.

***

“You did well,” Vanessa whispered as the couple climbed into the car to head home, she smiled at her husband knowing that his first royal outing had been a success and that it would only get better.

Fernando nodded his head, he had no idea how Vanessa did it all the time and he was sure that when his own solo duties arrived that he would be a little out of his depth.

“I don’t know how you do it,” Fernando murmured remembering when he had met fans in the past when he had been a footballer, it was a little different now and he knew that it wasn’t like his past.

Vanessa pulled on her seat belt, she knew that this was a big change for them and she hoped that it wasn’t anything he couldn’t handle; she brushed some hair from her face wishing that there was something that she could say to make this better.

“When I was a footballer… I rarely got to speak with fans like that, these people, they look up to us and expect us to have all sorts of answers,” Fernando murmured recalling how he had spoken to two ladies who were running a cake stall, he had never gotten to actually talk to them.

Fernando had never been in a position where something that he did could actually affect anyone, he had the power to actually make change in people’s lives and make them better.

“It gets easier,” Vanessa said misunderstanding what her husband meant, she had no idea how he would react to all of this and she was still frightened that it might all be too much for him.

“It’s not that… I can actually help them,” Fernando said smiling at his wife, he had loved their day and he was sure his next royal duty would be just as wonderful; he was willing to do anything for his new country.

Vanessa smiled softly surprised what he had said, she hadn’t been expecting that and she knew that this wasn’t something that a lot of people got to feel.

“Wait until you’ve been made a patron of a charity,” Vanessa mused knowing that Fernando would make a wonderful patron, he would certainly be good at it and she doubted it would be long before her father assigned him one.

Fernando nodded his head, he was going to take his new duties seriously to make the world a better place for his children.