Part Two - Chapter Thirteen: Nothing to Fear

Joseph took a deep breath standing outside the living room where he had been asked to meet Vanessa, she had insisted that he come to Bruckstone Palace so that she could speak to him without any interruptions.

Joseph had no idea what Vanessa was going to say but he hoped that she wouldn't condemn him like their grandfather had when he had come out to him years ago; he hadn't meant for his secret to come out that way and he cursed the paparazzi for what they had done.

Joseph checked his mobile trying to stall going into the living room to meet with his sister, he was frightened about what Vanessa might say to him about his secret which had been exposed.

Joseph frowned seeing that his boyfriend of two years hadn't texted him back, he had only texted him to make sure that he was okay when he had no idea what to expect when it came to everyone knowing they were together.

Joseph loved Ethan and he knew that the doctor had been the best thing to come into his life, he was worried that he would be forced to end things since it wasn't the done way and he feared that it would all become too much for his boyfriend.

Finally Joseph decided that he had put off going inside and moved to open the door, he knew he shouldn't keep Vanessa waiting too long; she was Queen now and had enough on her plate to deal with.

"His Royal Highness, Prince Joseph," the butler announced as Joseph stepped into the room, he paused at the sight before him and he felt like the wind has been knocked out of him.

Vanessa smiled at her brother, she wondered how long he had been out in the corridor for; she had a feeling that he was worried about this reason and he had no reason to be.

Joseph blinked wondering if he was imagining things there was no way that this was happening and he wanted to rub his eyes sure he was dreaming.

"Ethan?" Joseph breathed staring at his boyfriend, he had no idea what was going on and it freaked him out to see Ethan, Vanessa and Charlotte enjoying a drink; they had been clearly waiting for him for a while.

Ethan turned to smile at Joseph, he had been just as surprised when he had received the invite to the palace; he hadn't been expecting the warm welcome that he had received for his boyfriend's sisters.

"I hope you don't mind... I invited Ethan to join us for lunch," Vanessa said signalling for her brother to take a seat; she had put a lot of thought into what she would do on the flight home from Australia.

Joseph could only nod his head as he looked between his sisters, he had no idea what had brought this on and he knew that this certainly hadn't been what he had been expecting from this meeting.

"I think we are ready for lunch now," Vanessa said turning to look at butler, who bowed before moving to get lunch; she sipped on her drink and looked across the coffee table at her brother.

Joseph still looked surprised and Vanessa didn't blame him, she had spent most of her time since she had arrived home trying to deal with the media fallout that had occurred from Joseph so publically being outed like he had.

"So how did you two meet?" Charlotte asked setting down her drink, she had spoken to Vanessa a bit after what had happened; she couldn't believe that she hadn't known that their younger brother was homosexual.

Charlotte felt that she should have known and she wondered why Joseph hadn't felt like he could share this with her or Vanessa; they didn't care who he loved only that he was happy.

It had the sisters wonder if someone else in their family had known and told him not to tell anyone.

***

Joseph took a deep breath as he watched Charlotte and Ethan chat happily, he had never thought that he would see the day and he was relieved that he no longer had to hide how he felt. Grace was free to date whoever she liked now and she didn't have to act as his fake girlfriend in order to make other people happy, there was no sign of his preferences being a problem.

"Ethan is nice," Vanessa mused sitting down next to her brother, it was time for them to talk and this afternoon had done a lot to ease her mind; she was pleased with what she had seen and she hoped that her brother wasn't going to hide anything else from her.

Joseph nodded his head, he was happy to see that his eldest sister liked Ethan and that was all that he wanted; he still felt nervous since he knew that there was so much left to be done.

"I have a meeting with parliament on Monday afternoon," Vanessa revealed not looking at her brother, she had done a lot of thinking and she knew that there was something that she had to do.

Joseph frowned turning to look at his sister wondering why she was telling him this; he was sure that there was a reason but he wasn't going to be able to figure it out.

"The bill to legalize same-sex marriage is going to be passed," Vanessa revealed knowing that it had been a long time coming, it had been bouncing around parliament for a few years now but it was finally going to be legalised.

Joseph stared at his sister, he had never thought that it was going to happen and he knew that it was going to be such a big thing for their country; he didn't know what had made the politicians finally decided to legalise.

Currently there was only civil unions for those who were homosexual and Joseph had accepted that this could be the only form of marriage that he would have at home but now that was all going to change and that could only be a good thing.

***

Fernando smiled listening to his wife talk about her afternoon with her brother's boyfriend, he was pleased to see it had gone well and it was even better after the talk she'd had with Alonso Meraz.

Fernando was thrilled to hear that same-sex marriage was going to become legal, he knew that it had been a long time coming and Joseph was the reason for the legalisation.

Vanessa hadn't been able to do anything about it, she was the Queen but she was only there to guide her parliament and she couldn't create any laws; she was there to advise and she had hinted a lot that it was time that the parliament move forward.

"He'll be joining us for the races," Vanessa mused looking to Fernando, there would be a statement released tomorrow to announce that Joseph was in a relationship with Ethan.

Vanessa had asked her brother what he wanted to do and he had agreed to the statement that would hopefully calm things down a little; he didn't want the press harassing his family more than needed.

"That's good," Fernando agreed smiling, he knew that this would all be new for Ethan but there was no ignoring the fact that he was dating a royal; everyone loved to know about them and Fernando still had found it odd at times.

Vanessa nodded her head, she had a feeling that it wouldn't be long after the law had passed before she would be seeing either Joseph or Ethan for a blessing on their relationship.

Fernando had gotten his blessing from her father just like Henri had done so before he had passed, Vanessa would now be the one that would bless the relationship of her brother so that he could marry the man that he loved.

###

Author's Note:

I see Prince Joseph Bellcroft as Calvin Goldspink (pictured above) and Dr. Ethan Gomez as Matt di Angelo.