Trypanophobia

Valka trudged up to her son's room in the early hours of the morning.

"Hiccup?" She called as she knocked on the door. "Are you up?"

"No." He groaned through his pillow. He was determined to get out of his getting his Chief tattoo today. It's not that he didn't want it, but the thought of Hoark the Haggard jabbing him repeatedly with a thorn covered in squid ink was not his idea of fun.

"He's still in bed?" Astrid wondered as she made her way up the stairs.

"He's never been very fond of pointy things." Hiccup's mother explained.

"He was a blacksmith, he worked with pointy things every day. He carried a dagger in his waistband, he has a sword that ignites on command and has been chased by Whispering Deaths. And he's afraid of a little thorn?" Astrid thought. She knocked on the door. "I hope you're covered, Haddock." She announced before charging into his room. "Get up." She ordered.

"I don't want to." He moaned.

"Don't make me drag you out of here." She warned. Hiccup made the courageous, yet stupid decision to ignore her warning.

Astrid rolled her eyes before grabbing him by the ear and pulling him to sit at the edge of the bed.

"Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!" He cried. When she finally let go, he threw himself back. Astrid grabbed his tunic from the chair by his desk and started getting him into it. If he was going to act like a child, she was going to treat him like one. She grabbed his prosthetic leg from beside his bed, but instead of helping him put it on, she held it in her hand as she lifted Hiccup off the bed and threw him over her shoulder.

"Okay, Chief. Time to go."

"Astrid, will you put me down?!" He shrieked.

"Are you going to come willingly?" She wondered, knowingly. His silence spoke for itself. "Thought so." Astrid glanced towards Valka as she descended the stairs with Hiccup over her shoulder. Valka just smirked.

Astrid sauntered over to Hoark's house. Hiccup had given up fighting his way out of her grasp. Only when Hoark's door closed did she finally put him down in a chair.

"You can have your leg back when the tattoo is done." She explained as Hoark started gathering supplies.

"This is treason." Hiccup huffed.

"I love you too." Astrid teased.

"Why do I have to get a stupid tattoo anyway?" He whined.

"Because it's tradition. Every chief for three hundred years has gotten this tattoo. Don't you think you've broken enough traditions, Haddock?" Astrid folded her arms and glared at her boyfriend.

"Well, I'm the chief now and I declare this rule, stupid!" He stated.

"Sorry, Babe. Doesn't work like that."

"Easy for you to say." He huffed. "You don't have to get yours until we get married."

"But, I'm not a cry baby like you." She explained.

"I'm not a cry baby!" He defended.

"Look, if I get my tattoo today, would that make you feel better?" Astrid shot him a glance. She signaled Hoark, who smiled and nodded in understanding.

Astrid sat down on a chair across from Hiccup and took off her shoulder armor. Hoark wasted no time beginning her tattoo. Hiccup winced at the sight, while Astrid's face remained indifferent.

"How are you so calm?!" Hiccup shrieked.

"It's not my first tattoo, Hiccup." She explained.

"Wait, what?!" He gasped. "You have another tattoo? Where? When? Why haven't I seen it?"

"On my wrist, when we came back from Dragon's edge. And it's hidden under my sleeves because I know you'll make a big deal out of it."

"Okay, now you have to show me!" He said. Astrid glared at him. "Chiefs orders."

"Hiccup, when have I ever done anything you told me to do?" She chuckled.

"Okay, fair point."

"If I show you, you are not allowed to tell anyone, and you will stop complaining and get your tattoo. Deal?" Astrid requested.

"Deal." The young chief agreed.

Astrid gently removed her sleeve, careful not to move her arm as Hoark was still filling her tattoo in. She dropped the sleeve in her lap to reveal the small tattoo across her wrist.

"You got my name tattooed?" He thought as he examined the word from a distance. "You know that's gonna be there forever, right?"

"That's the whole point." She stated. Hiccup's face lit up and he was smiling from ear to ear. "And you're gonna make a big deal out of it. Aren't you?" Astrid thought as Hoark finished her tattoo and moved on to Hiccup.

"Nope, not making a big deal." He threw his hands up defensively.

"Your turn." She warned as she made her way to his side. She held out her hand but he refused to take it.

"Astrid, I'm the chief, I don't need to hold your hand." He said proudly. Hoark tapped the thorn in Hiccup's upper arm and his free hand flew to Astrid's faster than he could blink. After a few more taps, he started realizing it wasn't nearly as bad as he expected and finally let go of his girlfriend's hand.

When Hoark was done, he wrapped up both of their tattoos and sent them on their way.

"See, I told you. No big deal." Astrid chuckled.

"I guess you were right. It wasn't that bad." Hiccup agreed as they made their way back to Hiccup's hut.

Astrid grasped Hiccup by the shirt and crashed their lips together.

"I'm proud of you." She smiled. "You did good today." He internally glowed at the compliment. "So, when are you gonna get my name?" She teased.

Hiccup's face dropped.

***