Safe Place

Set after RTTE and before HTTYD 2
Some seriously cute Hiccstrid moments

***

"Astrid, what are you doing?" Hiccup chuckled, looking up from his journal to find his girlfriend hanging upside down from a tree branch above him as he sat against his favorite tree in the cove.

"Trying to kiss you?" She explained, simply.

"You're gonna hurt yourself." He rolled his eyes at her playfully. Astrid grasped him by the tunic and pulled him intimidatingly close.

"Shut up and kiss me, I'm getting dizzy."

Hiccup chuckled but quickly obliged, allowing her to flip around, returning gracefully to her feet in an upright position. She sauntered towards Hiccup who was back in his original position, reading through his journal. She settled by his side as he lifted his arm around her neck, not once removing his gaze from the book he was reading. She snuggled into his side, draping her arm over him and tracing circles on the back of his hand as their friends all arrived on their dragons.

"Guys, I need to ask you something!" Tuffnut announced as he hopped off of his Zippleback.

"Not now, Tuff." Hiccup dismissed, as he was riveted on this particular chapter.

"But it's important." He groaned.

"Sure it is." Heather rolled her eyes sarcastically at the male twin.

"Okay, Tuff. What's so important?" Hiccup sighed.

"If I punch myself, and it hurts, am I strong or weak?" He asked.

"Strong." Ruffnut thought.

"Weak." Heather disagreed.

"An idiot," Astrid mentioned. "An idiot is what you are."

***

Everyone settled down in the cove for a well-deserved afternoon off. The twins chased Snotlout around. Fishlegs and Heather were playing Maces and Talons and Astrid and Hiccup hadn't moved since the others arrived.

"When did your hands get so big?" Astrid wondered as she continued to trace circles across his palm.

"Well, my hands had to grow to keep up with the rest of me." He joked. "Now I can fit the whole world in my hands."

"They aren't quite that big." She chuckled.

"Wanna bet?" Hiccup finally put his book down in his lap and turned towards his girlfriend, lifting his hand to gently cup her cheek. "I win." Astrid couldn't help but blush profusely, subconsciously leaning into his touch and letting out an adorable giggle. She soon came back to her senses, clearing her throat, brushing his hand off, and turning away in an attempt to keep her blushing cheeks to a minimum.

"Get off me, I have a reputation." She muttered.

"So, do I." Hiccup said, earning a laugh from everyone. "What? You guys don't think I have a mean look?"

"Sorry, babe but you definitely do not have a mean look." Astrid chuckled.

"Oh, please. I'm sure I do. I'm sure it makes people quiver." He joked.

"If by 'people' you mean 'adorable baby kittens', then maybe. Before they come over and lick your face." Hiccup just glared at her sternly. "Aw, look at all those kittens. She looked over Hiccup's shoulder at nothing in particular. "How adorable!"

Hiccup would have had a comeback all ready for her were it not for the large shadow that swooned across the cove, shrouding them in darkness.

"Looks like a storm. How did we miss that?!" Hiccup gasped as the rain began pouring down in crazy chaotic swirls. "Everyone hide. Get to a safe place, we have to wait out the storm." Hiccup ordered. "Toothless and I are gonna try and figure out where the storm is coming from." The riders all darted towards a small cave opening behind the waterfall, except Astrid who darted into Hiccup's arms. "Astrid, what are you doing?" The blonde wriggled in his arms as the water continued to drip over them.

"Hiding..." She told him.

"You mean hugging?" He asked.

"Did I stutter?" She looked up at him before nuzzling deeper into his embrace. "This is my safe place. Now shut up and let's go." She smiled, sending her dragon into the cave and mounting her boyfriend's Night Fury.

***