Final Days

Part 1 x

***

"Chief, do you have a minute?" Nuffink asked an adult, Zephyr Haddock.

"Sure thing, Nuff." She nodded before quickly finishing her conversation with Brenda Ingerman. "What do you need?"

"Dad is asking for you." He sighed. "And mom is refusing to stay in bed."

"I'm on it." She assured. "Can you cover for me?" Her brother nodded in agreement as Zephyr darted to her hut, just outside of the village, where her parents were supposed to be resting. She raced inside to find her mother tidying up, holding onto everything along the way. "Mom! You're not supposed to be out of bed!"

"I'm okay, Zeph." The blonde fibbed, through a fit of coughs. 

"Well, I don't believe you." Zeph helped her back to bed, tucking her in before heading around to the other side of the bed. "How are you doing, dad?" She asked, gently wiping his forehead with a damp cloth. He gripped her hand and just held it for a moment. 

"I love you, Zeph. You know that, right?" 

"Don't you dare!" She scowled. "You're not done yet."

"Zeph..." Astrid exhaled sadly. 

"No!" The young auburn-haired female hissed. 

***

"Hey, how did it go?" Nuff wondered as his sister sauntered back into town. She just folded her arms across her body and sighed, avoiding eye contact. Her brother enveloped her in a hug. "It's gonna be okay, sis."

"No..." She pushed him away. "It's not. They've given up."

"Zeph, they've lived a longer life than most, maybe it's time." He thought, fighting back tears as he spoke. Zephyr thought hard for a moment.

"Nuff, I need to go out of town for a few days. You think you can handle things around here."

"You wanna leave town? Now?" He worried. "What if they-"

"Then don't let them," Zephyr ordered. "There's something that needs to be done. Please." Nuffink finally understood what she was up to.

"Zeph, that's way too dangerous." He reminded. 

"It's our parents." She pouted. "I have to try." Nuffink nodded hesitantly in agreement. "I'll be back. I promise."

***

Days passed and Zephyr sailed farther and farther from New Berk in a small fishing boat, following her memory. She took a deep breath as she approached a familiar place from her childhood. She anchored the boat to keep it from advancing any farther. She noticed a dark figure through the fog, as the fog began to clear she recognized the dark figure and could relax a little. 

"Okay. You got this, Zeph. Just remember what dad taught you." She said to herself. The dark figure approached, leaping into the air and landing on the small boat, his eyes so dilated, it almost frightened her. But she shook it off. She was Zephyr Haddock, Chief of Berk. Nothing could scare her "Hey, Toothless. Remember me?" 

***