PlayDate

Hiccup, Astrid, and Snotlout are 6
Fishlegs and the twins are 5

***

"Guys, are you sure this is a good idea?" Young Fishlegs worried as he sauntered deep into the woods with his friends on an early winter's day.

"What's the matter Fishface?" Young Snotlout snickered. "You scared?"

"Our parents told us to stay in the village." He reminded. "It's not safe out here."

"It's no safer in the village. Not with the twins and Hiccup around."

"Hey!" Little Hiccup whined.

"No, he has a point." Tuffnut shrugged. "I mean we're idiots on purpose."

"Yeah, you're just an accident waiting to happen." His sister added.

Young Hiccup let out a sigh before trudging past them and continuing to follow Astrid into the forest. The young blonde was leaping over every rock and log with ease, hitting every tree with her axe as she passed until she finally reached her favorite spot.

"Hurry up, slowpokes!" She called to the others, who were racing to catch up. They all began to do their own thing. The twins were busy attacking each other. Well, Ruffnut had tackled Tuffnut to the ground. He was just enjoying it. Astrid was having fun, attacking Snotlout. Fishlegs was cowering away from the blonde female while Hiccup just sat drawing in the dirt with a stick, occasionally glancing over to the scene behind him.

"What are you drawing?" Young Hiccup flinched as Fishlegs approached. He quickly scribbled over his sketch, hoping beyond hope that his friend hadn't seen it. "Was that supposed to be Astrid?"

"What? No." He fibbed. "I was just doodling." Their attention was drawn away and they suddenly found themselves riveted on the conversation behind them.

"Still think you're stronger than me?" Astrid chuckled at Snotlout who was currently trapped under her knee with his arms pinned behind his back.

"Okay, so I wasn't ready. It doesn't mean you're stronger than me." He lied. "I'll tell you what. First one to reach the top of the tree wins." He pointed to the large tree a few yards away.

"You're on." She accepted.

"Guys isn't that a bit dangerous." Hiccup worried.

"Relax, Hiccup," Astrid suggested. "We'll be fine."

Both stubborn children took their positions and as Fishlegs ended the countdown they both darted towards the large tree. Astrid was in the lead but as she got a few yards off the ground Hiccup could no longer stand it.

"I can't look!" He exhaled, covering his eyes and spinning around. All he could hear were the voices of his friends. The twins were cheering, though they had no idea who they were rooting for. Fishlegs was humming nervously.

"Woah!" Snotlout shrieked. Hiccup fought the urge to turn around.

"Snotlout!!!" Astrid's scream echoed through the woods before it was cut off by a thud and a splash.

Hiccup spun around faster than he could blink to see the young blonde now sitting up from the large puddle on the ground. Everyone raced to her side, except Snotlout who was still climbing.

"Ah!" Astrid hissed.

"Are you okay?!" Hiccup worried as he helped her shuffle out of the water.

"My leg!" She winced.

"I missed it. What happened?!" Hiccup gasped.

"Snotlout lost his grip and grabbed Astrid's leg and pulled her down," Fishlegs explained.

"Snotlout!" Hiccup scowled up at him. He turned back to Astrid. "How high was she?"

"At least twelve feet."

Astrid hissed once more as she attempted to stand.

"Woah, it's okay. Don't move." Hiccup suggested, catching her as she landed back on the ground.

"Woohoo! I won!" Snotlout shouted from the top of the tree as he clung to it for dear life. "Take that, Hofferson!"

"Snotlout, get down here, right now!" Hiccup warned.

"Uhhh, what do we do?" Fishlegs wondered. "Maybe we should go and get help?"

"We can't," Astrid explained, attempting to stand once again. Failing a second time. "We're not supposed to be in here, remember?"

"Astrid, there's no way you can walk all the way back like that." Hiccup said. "Maybe..."

"No, we c-can't." She repeated with a shiver. "We'll only get in trouble."

"Okay, I never thought I'd say this but, Ruff, Tuff..." He turned to the twins. "Go back to the village and break something."

"Okay, I think Hiccup's lost it," Fishlegs whispered.

"We need someone to keep our parents distracted while we figure out how to get Astrid back." He explained.

"Right, big explosion, coming up!" Tuffnut cheered as the Thorstons raced back to Berk.

"What?! No! I said, distraction!" Hiccup yelled.

"I'm on it," Fishlegs assured, racing after them.

"H-Hiccup..." Astrid shook violently. "I'm freezing."

"Here." He took off his brown fur overshirt and wrapped it around her as he helped her out of the forest. Suddenly a loud bang sounded from the center of town. "That's our cue." He noted, rolling his eyes. He draped Astrid's arm over his shoulder and used every muscle he didn't know he had to help her back to Berk.

***