Outbreak on the Edge

Set in early RTTE. But Astrid and Hiccup are dating, because it's more fun that way. After venturing outside of the archipelago for the very first time, they were sure to be exposed to some new germs.

***

ACHOO!

The sound echoed across the outpost. The riders were gathered in the clubhouse and all jumped out of their seats at the sheer volume of the sneeze. Just then, Heather sauntered inside but kept her distance.

"Was that a sneeze?" Snotlout panicked. "Please tell me I just imagined it." He practically pleaded with the gods.

"You didn't imagine it," Heather confirmed. "Fishlegs has the flu." She explained.

ACHOO!

"Oh, well that's just great." Snotlout stated sarcastically, rolling his eyes and tucking himself under Hookfang's wing.

"Snotlout will you relax." Hiccup scowled. "We've never been this far out from Berk before. It was only a matter of time before one of us caught something out here." He explained. "I'll make some soup and if anyone else starts to feel off, I need you to tell me."

Just then, as if on cue, Heather let out a sneeze. Everyone's heads spun in her direction. Snotlout let out a yelp and backed into a corner with his mouth covered.

"I'll get the moldy bread!" Tuffnut cheered, proudly.

"Let's not make it worse." Hiccup suggested slightly disgusted.

"Let's get you to bed," Astrid suggested to her raven-haired friend. "Hiccup, get started on that soup."

"No. I'll take Heather back to her hut. This is clearly contagious, and if the hunters attack and we all have the flu, we'll be vulnerable. Astrid, could you start chopping the vegetables, please?" Hiccup asked. Astrid glared at him, knowing all too well that he wasn't happy about the thought of Astrid catching this new bug. But she didn't protest.

Hiccup returned to find one less person than when he left with Heather.

"Where's Snotlout?" He wondered.

"The muttonhead was freaking out and started hyperventilating. He started sweating and convinced himself he was dying, so he's in his hut."

ACHOO!

"Perfect, Snotlout too." Hiccup thought. "We'd better get this soup finished. We still have work to do."

"A-choo." The twins both faked a sneeze.

"Oh, no. Looks like we caught it too. Guess we should go and rest up." Ruffnut fought back a chuckle.

"Yeah, sorry guys we'd love to stay and help with... all the work. But-"

"Nice try." Hiccup glared. "But with Heather, Fishlegs, and Snotlout all out for the count, we're gonna need all the help we can get. The show must go on." Hiccup explained as he placed a pot of ingredients above the fire to cook. "We can't drop everything because of a little bug."

Achoo!

Hiccup spun towards the adorable familiar, yet heart shattering, sneeze, his eyes opened wide and fixated on the pale, red-nosed blonde in front of him.

"Drop everything. Nothing gets done until this has passed. Ruff, Tuff, you're on soup duty. Make sure everyone has a bowl and then I want everyone to their huts." He declared.

"But I thought you said-"

"Ruff, I said everyone to their huts!" He scowled as he grabbed two bowls of his freshly made soup, handing one to Astrid and leading her out of the clubhouse and towards his hut. The twins refused to argue and left immediately.

"Hiccup, you really didn't have to shut the whole island down." Astrid sniffed.

"You're more important." He smiled as he led her up to his loft and tucked her into bed.

"Hiccup, why am I in your hut? I thought you said everyone to their own huts." She thought. "What if I'm contagious?"

"Well then..." He smiled, tucking himself in beside the blonde. "It looks like I'm catching it."

Astrid blushed, finally bringing a little touch of color to her cheeks as she tucked into her bowl of soup. When both teens finished eating Hiccup pulled Astrid close. She hummed contently as she rested her head against his chest. Her arm draped over his stomach. Astrid soon fell asleep and Hiccup just smiled down at his sleepy girlfriend.

Achoo!

An hour passed before Astrid jumped awake at the sound of her boyfriend's sneeze. She rolled over to see him facing the other direction. He let out a shudder until her hand snaked around his waist and turned him over.

"I was wondering how long you were gonna last." She chuckled drowsily before leaning in.

"Astrid, I'm contagious." He warned.

"So am I." She giggled before closing the distance, humming against his lips. Their kiss was soon interrupted when Astrid felt another sneeze approaching. She threw her hands over her face and let out another adorable sneeze, followed by a shiver as her face slowly turned green.

"Astrid?" Hiccup worried as she gently sat up and backed against the head of the bed.

"I'm okay, Hiccup." She assured.

"Are you sure? Do you want me to get you some more soup? Or another blanket? Or some green tea? Or-"

His voice was muffled by Astrid's lips as she tugged on his shirt and pulled him close, if only to stop him from talking.

"Cuddles? I can do cuddles?" He finished at a near whisper.

"Cuddles sounds good." She hummed happily before crashing together once again.

***