When The World Falls Apart

Set after HTTYD Hidden World.
***

"Astrid, are you okay?" Hiccup worried as the blonde stormed into their new half-built hut. She tore off her dragon armor and practically tossed it aside.

"I'm fine, Hiccup." She hissed. Her tone said otherwise.

"Look, I know you're gonna miss the dragons, we all are." The chief explained.

"Of course, I'm gonna miss the dragons. But, that's not the point!" She scowled.

"Then what's the matter?" Hiccup placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. She swiftly brushed it off.

"Nothing! Just forget it." She snapped. "I'm gonna stay with my parents. I just... need some space."

"Astrid? What-" Hiccup was cut off by the slamming of the front door.

***
Later that night
***

Astrid awoke, panting in the dimly lit room. Her body was drenched with sweat. The room was silent, except for her father's low snoring and mother's stirring in the room next door. She so desperately wanted to cry, but she couldn't. She wouldn't. Not now, not ever. She hopped out of bed and raced to hers and Hiccup's hut, bursting through the door to find Hiccup awake at his desk. She didn't give him time to turn around before throwing her arms around him.

"Wha- Astrid?" He thought. "It's the middle of the night. What's going on?" He managed to turn around in her arms and pulled her onto his lap. She buried her face deep into the crook of his neck and subconsciously let out a faint sob. Hiccup pulled out of her embrace and tucked her bangs behind her ear to see the tears threatening to fall. "What's gotten into you today? What's got you so scared?" He wondered. "You miss Stormfly?"

"C-can we just sleep?" She sniffled, avoiding the question.

"Yeah, sure." Hiccup agreed, though still a little concerned. They tucked themselves into bed. Astrid faced the opposite direction and when Hiccup's arm draped over her, she brushed it away. "Okay, Astrid this is ridiculous. Why are you upset with me? What did I do?"

"What did you do?!" Astrid's eyes flew open and a scowl spread across her face,  she sat up and spun towards her auburn-haired boyfriend. "Hiccup, you let go!"

"I what?" He wondered.

"You almost died! And it's like you don't even care!" She hissed. "Like the whole world wouldn't fall apart if you weren't in it."

"Astrid, the world wouldn't fall apart." He rolled his eyes.

"Mine would." She shrugged. "Did you even think about that?"

"Did you have a nightmare? Is that what this is about?" He thought.

"Yes, I had a nightmare. But that's not the point. Hiccup, I almost lost you today." She sniffled.

"But, you didn't. Astrid, I'm right here. I didn't die."

"But you could have."

"But I didn't." He repeated.

"But, you could have!" She snapped.

"Astrid, we've been in hundreds of life or death situations. Why is this one any different?" Hiccup wondered. Astrid let out a sigh and turned away, unable to look him in the eye.

"Hiccup, I'm pregnant."

"You're what?!" He gasped.

"I only found out a few days ago, and I've been trying to find the right time to tell you but with everything that's been going on..."

"You're serious." Hiccup stated. The blonde nodded apprehensively.

"And if that Light Fury hadn't caught you, you would've drowned never knowing." She sniffled. "And we'd be stuck here without you. And I can't do it on my own."

"I'm sorry. I just couldn't bear the thought of losing Toothless." He admitted.

"And I couldn't bear the thought of losing you."

"You're right, I was reckless. I didn't think. I- Wait? You fought off Deathgrippers, escaped a Rumblehorn attack, jumped off a cliff, and fought off Grimmel's army... while carrying our child?" He realized. Astrid remained silent. "You know what... now I'm a little mad at you." He joked, folding his arms and huffing dramatically.

"You can't be mad at me!" She gasped. "I'm carrying your child."

"Oh, right. Well, after the baby comes, then can I be mad at you?"

"After nine months of pregnancy and giving birth? I don't think so. You can never be mad at me again." She smiled.

"Well, I may not be allowed to get mad at you..." He smirked mischievously. "But I can... tickle you." Astrid's eyes opened wide in realization, unfortunately not quickly enough as Hiccup began to tickle her mercilessly.

"Not fair, Haddock!" She giggled. He finally ceased. He planted a kiss on Astrid's forehead.

"Goodnight, Milady." He chuckled before leaning down and lifting her shirt to place a gentle kiss on her belly. "Goodnight, little Haddock."

Astrid was surprised he took the information so well. Of course, he was extremely tired, so she wasn't at all surprised when he awoke the next day and completely freaked out.

***