She Used To Be Mine

Part 1 x
If you haven't heard the song 'She used to be mine' go and find it now!
This oneshot is set during RTTE and the gang has run into a young girl in the woods.

***

"Hey, it's okay." Hiccup spoke softly with his hands in the air as the young girl held an axe, which was almost the size of her, up in a defensive position. He was slightly relieved they had left the dragons at the outpost. "We're not gonna hurt you."

"I'd like to see you try." The young blonde was battered and bruised and soaked to the bone with a large slice across her left shoulder, cutting right through her mud-brown shirt.

"Ha, you just got called out by a four-year-old!" Snotlout snickered.

"I'm six, you Muttonhead!" The girl hissed.

"Ahem..." Astrid grasped her boyfriend's attention, taking a hold of his hand and pulling him a few paces back.

"What is it? What's the matter?" Hiccup worried.

"Maybe you should let me talk to her." She whispered.

"Wha- Are you sure?" He thought. "She's just a kid. We need to get her to come back to the edge with us, it's too dangerous for her out here and she could be really hurt, and... Well you're about as delicate as my father's hammer."

"I'll take that as a compliment. Trust me, Hiccup. You won't get through to her with smiles and reassuring words."

"And you know this, how?" Hiccup wondered.

"Hiccup, look at her. I mean really look." Hiccup glared at his girlfriend for a moment but soon gave in and did as told. "You're telling me she doesn't look even vaguely familiar to you?"

"Should she?"

"Look at her eyes."

"Astrid, that's-"

"Just do it." He did as told, finding the ocean blue irises frighteningly familiar. He looked towards his girlfriend then back at the young girl.

"But that's..." He hesitated. He shook his head in denial. "Just because she has blue eyes, and the outfit and the hair and the face and the attitude, definitely the attitude, it doesn't prove anything."

Astrid sighed and pulled on her left sleeve to reveal an old scar across her shoulder.

"Hiccup, I got this scar when I was six years old." The blonde whispered. Hiccup looked towards the girl once again, noticing the exact same scar.

"Okay, I must say that is... Well, crazy. But, I think you're right."

"Just let me try," Astrid suggested. Hiccup nodded in approval. His girlfriend sauntered towards the young girl who tightened her grip on the handle of her axe. "Sweet, axe. But I think it's time for an upgrade, don't you?" Astrid grasped the axe from the holster on her back and handed it to the younger blonde.

"Astrid, what are you doing?!" Snotlout thought. Astrid winced.

"Your name's Astrid, too?" The young girl questioned with a gasp.

"Uh, yeah..." She admitted. "And not only do we have the same name, but we..." She gently pulled up the right side of her shirt to reveal a small birthmark that stayed nicely hidden under the fabric. "...Have the same secrets."

"Woah..." The young girl gazed in awe. "Are you...?"

"I'm you." The older blonde confirmed. "All grown up."

"Wow, I'm really pretty." Both Astrid's giggled.

"And never forget it."

"Geez, get a room." Snotlout snickered.

"Shut up, Snotlout." Astrid hissed.

"Snotlout?!" Young Astrid gasped before finally looking around the group. "And Fishlegs and Ruff and Tuff and..." She stopped as her gaze landed on a raven-haired girl. "I don't know this one."

"Oh, that's Heather. She's a friend."

"I don't do friends." She frowned. "Who's that?" She gestured.

"That's Hiccup."

"That's Hiccup?!" Young Astrid gasped. "But, Hiccups so... And he's all... How did he get so... Like that?"

"Impressive huh?" The younger blonde just nodded in response. "Look, why don't you come back to our base? We can get you cleaned up and something to eat." Young Astrid shook her head backing away a few paces. "Hey... If you can't trust them, then trust yourself."

"Okay." She sighed, following her older self.

***

Wait for part 2 x