(20)

"Come on, Princess." I follow behind Dad, his hand guiding me. 

"I would walk faster if I could see." I roll my eyes under the cloth over my eyes, even though he can't see the action. About an hour ago, Dad walked in my room and told me to get dressed and to wear something nice. When I asked him why, he just smiled and told me to get ready. 

So here I am, trudging behind my father in a light blue sundress I got a couple weeks ago with a pair of sandals that I borrowed from Mom. I didn't put on makeup, but I did slightly curl my hair.

I feel his steps slow in speed and I mimic his actions. Before I know it, he guides me to a chair and sits me down.

"You ready?" He whispers. I eagerly nod and feel the blindfold slowly slip off my head. When I adjust my eyes to the sudden light, my eyes widen at the scene in front of me.

The room goes dark, the only light on Parsons with Dad about twenty feet in front of me. For some reason, Dad wears his uniform. Parsons sits with a gag in his mouth, fear in his eyes. Those eyes that bring me happiness were filled with a feeling I know all too well.

"How could you, Princess?" Dad says. He keeps a firm hand on Parsons' shoulder, squeezing a little too hard, the veins in his hand prominent. 

"What did I do, Dad?" I try to get up but realize my hands were bound to the back of the wooden chair, my legs tied to the chair as well. My voice came out weak, fear laced in every word.

"You left me, Erin. You left me just like your mother did. You left me for him." He looks to Parsons with his last word, bitterness spewing out of his mouth. He flinches at the words, fear dripping off of him. I can't help but start crying, worried for what might happen to Parsons.

"I-I didn't leave you, Dad. See? I'm here. I didn't go anywhere. And neither did Mom. We're here." I say this with a whimper, my voice cracking between syllables.

"Bullshit! You left me to be with him. And I can't have that." He says the last part in a whisper. His voice drops in pitch, causing my worry to grow. His hand reaches for his belt and my wet eyes widen at the metal instrument now in his hands.

"Dad, no!" I jerk forward, trying to get out of the ropes. He looks at me, anger in his once green eyes. I look at Parsons, who has joined me in crying. He mouths "I'm sorry" before closing his eyes. Before Dad can pull the trigger, I scream.

I jolt awake. Darkness surrounds me and I don't know where I am. I take a few deep breaths, trying to come back to reality. The moment I look at the other end of the couch, a deep breath is released from me. Seeing his fawn hair sprawled messily across his face allows me to realize where I am, and that it was just another nightmare.

I swing my feet off the couch and sit my body up, maybe a little too quickly than I should have. This action causes a headache to emerge. I stand up, rubbing my temples. I look around the area in search for my bag. Once I don't find it in the living room, kitchen, or bathroom, I realize I never brought it inside. I sigh and begin walking to the front door. I slip on my shoes and glance back to Parsons, making sure not to wake him.

I open the door and walk outside. Immediately, I switch from rubbing my temples to rubbing my arms.

"Who decided it should be this cold? They need to get their mind looked at." I say, scoffing. I watch as the cloud of condensation leaves my mouth, emitting a grey color into the air. I walk to my car and open the door. I widen my eyes slightly, realizing I didn't lock it. However, I am glad I didn't lock it because my keys were still inside it. 

I grab the small leather bag and rummage through it, trying to find the medicine to get rid of my headache. I find it and open the cap, pulling out two pills and swallowing them. I, thankfully, don't need liquid to swallow pills. If I did, I would be at a loss because there is nothing to drink in my car.