(5)

Mom and I chatted some more until we both decided to get ready. She had an afternoon shift today, which allowed us to have a mother-daughter night.

I didn't add much to my outfit today, just comfy clothes with no make-up. Of course, I color coordinated my beanie to my shirt, but that's about all the color I wore.

Having nightmares had always set my mood sour for the rest of the day.

As I get to the school, I see a lot more people outside than the previous day. I pull into my new parking space and noticed they're gathered around the side of the school. A look of confusion finds a way to my face and I exit the car, walking towards the crowd.

"Hey, Erin!" I hear the sound of someone calling my name and look up to see Ollie, rushing towards me.

"Hey, Ollie. What's up?" He smiles at the use of the nickname but it quickly vanishes, a worried look replacing it.

"So, um, before you decide to see what all the fuss is about behind me..." I notice him slowly pushing me back as I walk away. I stop in my tracks.

"Oliver. What's going on? Why are you pushing me back?" I try to go around him but he quickly rushes to prevent me from moving forward.

"It's just..." He pauses. "I think you shouldn't go over there."

"Why?" I attempt to go around him again, but fail, again.

"I just don't think you should. For safety reasons?" He says the last part as a question, making me move him out of the way and walking towards the crowd. People look at me as I walk towards the center, actually moving out of my way. I'm confused as to why everyone is looking at me, but continue walking. That's when I see it.

Blue. Green. Purple. Pink. Black. So many colors wrapped up into one piece. The once red and white wall was now flooded with neon colors. Lines crossed each other but never blurred into a mess.  There were words written but I couldn't make them out at the moment, still in shock at just the amount of color that was already there. But then my eyes focused on the black writing that stood in the center of the mural.

"I'm sorry -Jerk"

Despite the beautiful chaos that was the neon background, the writing was entirely different. It was a continuous strand of black writing, staying in a cursive manner. Strokes varied between thick and thin, but it was barely noticeable. 

Just by looking at what was written, no one would've known it went to the new girl, but by Parsons additional piece, it gave away who the message was to. Hanging off the top of the 'I', a beanie sat. It looked just like the one I wore when I first met Parsons. That object happened to be why everyone was staring at me.

"What's all the fuss about?" I hear the sound of our principal, Mr. Lopez enter the atmosphere, causing kids to disperse and chatter to fill the air. He walks up to the center, close to where I'm standing, looks at the wall and then to me. "This is for you, I presume?" I nod.

Students began to talk louder, realizing the girl with the beanie got the attention of someone.

So much for going unnoticed.

"Okay, everyone! Go to class!" He looks to me. "Come to my office." I nod and follow him to the office, where people continue to look, point, and talk about me. 

Mrs. G smiles at me when she sees me enter the office, but quickly realizes I'm with the principal, ending the reign of her contagious smile. 

"In here." He opens the door and gestures for me to walk in, which I do so. I hear the door close and he walks to the other side of the dark, wooden desk, sitting in a rolling black chair. I sit in the small leather chair, not finding any comfort whatsoever.