(28)

As I open my eyes, bright lights infect my eyes. I blink a couple times and adjust to the lighting before trying to figure out where I am.

I look down to my arm and notice an IV in it. One of those things monitoring my heart rate sits on my index finger. The smell of disinfectant finally reaches my nose and I slightly begin to panic.

Why am I in a hospital? I think to myself.

"Erin? You're awake?" I hear my Mom's voice and notice her sitting up in the magenta chair. She quickly comes closer to me, taking my hand in hers.

"Why am I here?" I say, my voice raspy. I feel the dryness of my throat and then the pounding in my head emerges. 

"You don't remember?" I shake my head. I point to the cup of water and she hands it to me. I sigh in relief as the cold water hits my throat, soothing it. "You hit your head quite hard at home. You became unconscious." She says this with worry.

"Honey? Is she awake?" The sound of my dad's voice enters the room and I can't help but feel happier now that he's here.

"Dad?" I say. He sees me and that comforting smile immediately hits my eyes. 

"Yes, Princess? I'm here." He stands next to Mom, holding my hand. He rubs my hand with his and I can't help but smile.

"I'm gonna go get you something to eat. You must be hungry." I nod my head and Mom stands up, kissing my forehead before heading out the room. Dad moves the chair closer to the bed and sits in it. 

"How do you feel, Princess?" 

"My head hurts a little but I think I'll be fine." I say, offering a smile at the end.

"Well it's about to hurt a lot worse."  I squint my eyebrows in confusion. He stands up and that's when I notice the metallic weapon on his belt. He reaches for it and takes it out of the holster. 

"Dad, what are you-" He points it at my head and I hear a click just as a scream begins to exit my mouth.

"Erin! Erin!" I jolt my body forward, breathing heavily. My erratic breath fills the room and I find my body slightly shaking. I feel someone touch my arms and I flinch. "Erin, look at me."

The muffled voice enters my ears and I focus on the person in front of me. I don't recognize the male until a sea of green meets my eyes and at that point, I begin to cry. His face fills with confusion and worry but he quickly reacts. 

I sit there, balling my eyes out, unable to move. He quickly pulls me towards him, wrapping his arms around me.

"Shh. It's gonna be okay, baby." My salty tears flow down my face and into my mouth. He strokes my head with his hand. I try to breath but I find myself struggling. I feel him pull away.

"Erin, look at me." He tilts my chin up so I'm looking at him. "Breathe, love." He begins to breathe slowly, trying to get me to mimic his moves. "Breathe in." My breath in is interrupted, breaking apart. "Breathe out." I try to breathe out but it's still not a continuous motion. "Listen to the sound of my voice. Just breathe in slowly and then breathe out." I focus on his words and find breathing becoming easier to do. After a couple tries, my breathing becomes slow and back to normal. I didn't notice, but his hands were holding up my head. His thumbs stroked my face, wiping away any fallen tears.

"Erin, are you okay?" Hearing him say my name sounds so foreign and wrong but I don't answer. I continue to focus on my breathing, trying to calm my mind and body at the moment. 

"I need my meds." I say this quietly as the headache begins to form. I point to a small bag beside the bed. As he goes through it, I rub my temples and squint my face as the pain of the headache fills the entirety of my head. He hands me the orange bottle and I quickly take out three pills, swallowing them dry.