(38)

"You guys went on a date? How did it go? Did you kiss again? What did you wear? Are there any pictures?" Ollie asks me question after question once I notify him of the date Parsons and I had last night. It wasn't anything too fancy but I enjoyed myself, nonetheless. He got me some muffins from his mom's bakery before taking me to the park. We sat and watched the sunset and stayed out a little bit longer. We mainly just talked but I couldn't have asked for a better date.

"Yes, we went on a date. We had a really good time." I answer vaguely. I smile at Parsons, who was already looking at me.

Flashback

I hear a series of knocks at the front door and quickly grab my things. I take a glance in the mirror before speed-walking to the door. I open the door and smile up at my visitor.

"Wow..." He says as he looks over my body. I'm not dressed too fancy, just in a pink sundress with a pair of sneakers. I am wearing light makeup and curled my hair a little but I didn't think there was that much of a difference.

"Do I look okay? I feel like I'm underdressed." I admit, rocking slightly on my feet.

"You look great." He smiles at me and extends his hand towards me. "Ready to go?" I nod and place my hand in his, a feeling of comfort and warmth surging through my body.

"Where did you go?" Liv asks. She stares down at her phone, typing quickly.

"We got some pastries from mum's bakery and then went to watch the sunset at the park."

"That's all? Where are the candles and flowers?" Ollie throws his hands up and I chuckle at his theatrics.

"It was perfect the way it was." I say. I place my hand in Parsons and smile at him as I fit my fingers between his. He lightly squeezes our joined hands and smiles at me.

For the rest of lunch, Parsons and I continue holding hands. We all talk and laugh, just enjoying each other's company. It was a good time. 

A few minutes before lunch ends, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and recognize the girl from my biology class. Claire, I think her name was.

"Is it true?" She asks. Most everyone in the cafeteria is looking in my direction. I figured it was about Parsons and I, since it was so obvious we were more than friends.

"Is what true?"

"Did your dad really kill himself because he hated that you were his daughter?"

What did she just say?

The rest of the group immediately looks up. Liv shoots daggers at the young girl. Ollie and Cam are confused. Parsons remains emotionless, assessing the situation.

"What did you just say?" I grit the question through my teeth. My hold on Parsons' hand tightens but he does not react. Anger begins rising within my blood.

She lets out a small squeak before taking a step back. "I just heard a rumor that your dad killed himself because of you and I wanted-"

"Who told you?" I stand up. Parsons tries to get me to sit back down but I remove his hand from mine. My hands ball into fists by my side as I try to regulate my breathing.

"Lexie sent out a text-" I had heard enough. I push past her and walk into the hall. The bell rings and just before students pile into the hall, I spot Lexie and her group sashaying to their next class.

"Lexie!" I shout. Other students look at me as I storm past them. I feel the crowd follow behind me, eager to see what happens.

Lexie effortlessly moves her hair off her shoulder before turning to face towards me. She stops in the middle of the hall, her hands crossed over her chest and an evil glint in her eyes.

"Erin, lovely to see you." She mocks once I've approached her. "How are you?"

"Quit the act." I keep my words sharp. I feel Parsons' eyes staring into my back but I don't look to him. "What do you want?"

"Why would you think I want something?" Playing the victim? Game on. "I just wanted the school to know the truth, is all. Is that such a crime?"

"No, but that outfit is. Was your goal to look like Big Bird?" Students laugh at my comment and I see the rage grow on Lexie's face. 

"But am I wrong? Didn't your dad kill himself because of you?" She diverts my comment and regains her confidence.

"It's none of your business. I'm done with this and with you. You've done nothing but cause stress to my life. You're just a waste of air and talking to you is a waste of my time." I turn around and begin walking away. I make eye contact with Parsons and walk towards him. Seeing him helps calm me down and my body begins to relax.

"I'll let Tori know you said hi." I stop in my tracks. Hearing her name brings back memories but what's more prominent is the anger that fills back up in me. Lexie upsets me but Tori brings rage and I don't want anyone to see that.

I slowly turn around and meet her eyes. She has that cocky smirk on her lips as she knows she's struck a nerve. She takes unhurried steps towards me, her group trailing behind her. The crowd grows as the space between Lexie and I decreases.

"How do you know her?" 

"Tori? Her and I are very good friends. We talk about everything." Her amber eyes remain locked in mine and I feel the anger begin to heat to a simmer. "She let me know all the details of the time when you went to the same school as her. She still has that scar on her arm." My mind flashes to the image of her arm dripping with blood. I had shoved her into the locker and when she moved, a broken piece of metal tore her skin. However, that was the least bloody part of her.

"Keep talking and you can get a matching one." I flash a fake smile at her and her eye twitches.

"Threats, Erin? That's a little low, even for someone like you. What are you gonna do? Go tell your dad?" Her comments don't affect me at this point. "At least mine's in an office. Yours is in a grave." This is the spark.

I take two large steps towards her before landing a right hook clean on her jaw. She stumbles backwards for a moment but quickly recovers. She attempts to land a blow on me but I dodge it and punch her in the gut.

We go back and forth. I land more blows on her than she does me but this fight is lasting longer than I thought. 

Lexie eventually falls to the ground and I take that as my chance. I straddle her and throw punch after punch. Left. Right. Left. Right. All I see is red.

I feel a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pull me off Lexie. Blood drips off her once perfect face. She coughs repeatedly, trying to get the blood out. 

"Erin, stop." His voice resonates in my head and I stop fighting against him. I let him drag me back away from Lexie. He lets go away me slightly to turn me towards him. His eyes scan my face, looking at my minor injuries. 

"Beanie..." He lifts his hand to my face but I immediately flinch. Worry fills in his eyes and I see the concern flashing across his face. 

I step back. I see the hurt in his eyes but I hate for him to see me like this. I open my mouth to speak but I am flung back. I feel my head bang against the lockers before I fall to the ground.

The world spins for a moment and then it goes black.