(2)

So far, school has gone okay. Most people have just glanced at me and then ignored me. Some teachers have asked questions and told me I wasn't allowed to wear my beanie, but I showed them the note and they nodded, leaving me alone. So overall, this school might not be as bad the other ones.

I've went through three classes so far, some computer class, a science class, and a math enrichment class. My fourth class of the day is math, my most hated subject. But I'm looking forward to after math class: lunch.

I walk into the room, looking around and finding an empty seat in the front. Because of my condition, I have to sit at the front of every room. Well, I don't have to, but Mom wants me to and I don't want to upset her in any way.

I sit farthest to the door, closer to the teacher's desk and watch as kids come flooding in. I put my note on the teacher's desk, remembering now rather than later. By the time the last student comes in, the classroom is packed full, not an empty seat in sight. 

"Good morning, class." Some guy with dark brown hair walks in with a leather briefcase. He wears a blue polo and some beige pants. He wears neon green tennis shoes, throwing off his whole outfit. His badge says 'Mr. Marcus' in big letters, also stating the subject he teaches.

"We're going to be going over last night's homework today and then I'm going to speak with a few of you about grades since we're already halfway through the first semester." He stops talking and walks to his desk, the chatter filling in the room. He places his things down, sitting down himself. "I'm going to take roll first. Say here when I call your name." I notice he directly goes onto his computer, not noticing the note.

Since my last name is Walker, I have to wait until every other person in the class is called before I get to say 'here'. He still didn't notice it throughout the other twenty-two names he called.

He sure is observant.

I'll say so.

"Erin Walker." 

"Here." He looks at me, as does every other person in the room does. I notice his dull, brown eyes look up at the black beanie on my head and slightly frown.

"You can't wear that." He points to my beanie as he speaks.

"I placed a note on your desk. That should give an explanation as to why I do have to wear this." I point to my head as I finish my statement. He looks across his desk, finding the note a moment later. His annoyed expression left his face and a more concerned, sympathetic one takes over. 

"Okay, then." He looks at me, nodding. He puts the note in his drawer, locking it afterwards. He straightens his posture and then begins to stand up. "Time to review the homework. Would anyone like to-"

Mr. Marcus his cut off by a male voice. "Why does she get to wear a beanie?"

I turn around to see who spoke. He has a lighter brown shade of hair, which sits messily upon his head. His hair is pushed back off of his face though, showing his green eyes. 

How did I know it was him? Well when I turned around, his green eyes were piercing into mine. He didn't smile, nor frown. He just looked blankly at me, upset even. Not a sad upset, but the angry kind I see when people are going to ask the question.

Mr. Marcus turns around from the whiteboard, looking back at the person who just interrupted him. "What was that, Mr. Parsons?" 

"Why does she get to wear that and we can't?" And there it is, the million dollar question.

At every school I've attended since I was twelve, someone has always asked why I get to wear a beanie and no one else can. Of course, no one finds out the real reason. One time, in one of my high schools, it wasn't even half an hour of me being there before someone questioned it. I'm actually kind of shocked that I've gone through three periods before someone asked.