(25)

After a long talk with my mom, she finally agreed to let me go to the cabin with the group. Elliott said he would go with me and I think that made Mom's stress level decrease by about point two percent. 

She interrogated me about everything little thing: where the cabin was, who was going, what was going to happen while we were there, when I would get back, etc. I didn't mind her being a helicopter mom for a minute but for the last hour, she has been nagging me, making sure I was prepared.

"Do you have your medication?"

"Yes." I hold up the bag containing my pills as proof.

"Do you have extra beanies?" 

"Always." I hold up a handful of beanies.

"Did you pack your toothbrush?"

"Of course." I hold it up before putting it back.

"What about-"

"Mom." I cut her off before she can ask. I take my mom's hands and hold them in mine. "I have everything, I promise. And if I forget something, someone else probably has an extra or we can got to the store by the cabin." I rub her hands with my thumbs and see her worry wash away a little.

"Okay. Okay. I'm trusting you." She pulls me in for a hug. "I love you, Erin."

"I love you too, Mom." We stay hugging for a minute before she pulls away and hugs Elliott.

"Keep her safe for me. If she gets hurt, call me immediately, okay?" He nods and Mom says something else before he nods again.

"You ready to go?" I ask, zipping the last of my bags. 

"Yep. Let's go." We gather our bags and said a final goodbye to Mom before getting in the car.

"You sure you want to go? I don't want you to feel uncomfortable." I turn to Elliott right before I put the car in reverse.

"Of course I do. Your friends are cool and plus, I could use a getaway." He gives me a genuine smile and that is my cue to get on the road.

On the way, we sing songs, play road games, talk about life, and bond. I don't get to see Elliott often so when I do, I cherish every second.

"Are you sure we're in the right place?" Elliott asks for the twentieth time in the last five minutes.

"Yes, ET. I'm following the GPS exactly." I sigh, feeling a small headache form.

"We're in the middle of nowhere, Erin. I think the GPS is trying to get us murdered." He jokes.

"Did you expect the cabin to be on a populated street? Just trust me. We're in the right place." He mutters a "fine" before going back to playing Minecraft on his phone. 

Thirty minutes later, we finally find the cabin.

"Look who finally showed up!" Cam exclaims when we arrive. As we're gathering our things, the group walks out.

"Don't blame me. Blame the chick who doesn't know how to follow GPS." Elliott says, pointing is finger at me.

"Me? I wasn't the one who was chewing so loud that I couldn't even hear the GPS!" I retort.

We bicker for the next couple minutes before finally going inside.

"How was the drive?" Parsons asks. We're gathered around the fire, trying to warm ourselves.

"Not too terrible. My company wasn't the quietest but it was bearable." I smirk at Elliott who has his jaw dropped. He sticks his tongue at me and I mimic him.