(40)

Erin

Why's it so dark in here?

I move my hand as I regain consciousness. I begin to open my eyes, finally allowing some light to enter my eyes.

"Beanie?" I recognize his voice and his face comes into vision once my eyes are completely open.

What's he doing here?

Where is here, exactly?

I look around the room and it takes a second, but I realize I'm in a hospital room. The disinfectant smell fills my nose and the beeping of the heart monitor becomes clear.

Parsons says some words before hitting a button on the pad thing connected to the bed. My eyes stay locked on him as he calls someone on his phone. I open my mouth to speak but he stops me.

"Don't strain yourself, love. There will be a doctor in here in just a moment." I gesture towards the glass of water beside the bed and Parsons hands it to me. I smile as the cool liquid slides down my throat.

Just as he said, Dr. Lambert enters the room not too long after.

"Hey, Erin. Great to see you awake." He walks towards me, taking some gadget out from his pocket. I sit up, with some assistance, and await for the exam Dr. Lambert is about to give me. "How are you feeling?"

"I feel okay. I'm slightly confused, though."

"You hit your head pretty bad at school. We had to do an immediate surgery to extract the bullet." As if a cue, the memories begin flooding in. I remember arguing with Lexie and then the fight before it all went black.

"The bullet's out?" My enthusiastic question brings a smile to Dr. Lambert's face.

"Sure is. Along with that, everything else seems perfectly fine. We're going to keep you here another day, just to make sure, then you can go on with your life." He concludes his check-up before walking out the room.

"How are you feeling, sweetie?" Mom had walked in the room just after Dr. Lambert. She smiled once she saw I was awake. She had quickly taken her spot in the chair and listened intently to every word the doctor said.

"Better. My head feels less heavy." She nods.

"I'm just glad you're okay. You could have gotten seriously hurt." She begins to criticize.

"I know, Mom. I tried to not punch her but I could only hold back for so long. I didn't see her coming when she threw me into the locker and by the time I realized she had, it was too late."

"The school called me." I feel my nerves begin to rise. I knew that fighting Lexie wasn't a good idea but I had to make a point. "You and Lexie are on suspension. For five days."

"Wait. I'm not expelled?" She shakes her head. I pull her into a hug.

Phew. That was a close one.

At least we're not expelled.

That means we get to be around Parsons still.

As we're in a hug, she's whispers in my ear. "Neil stayed with you the entire time. He refused to go home. Keep him close, Erin. Not many men would do that." I glance at Parsons and smile at him. Mom pulls away before she stands up and leaves the room.

"You gonna stand there all day?" I ask once Parsons hasn't moved from his spot on the wall since Mom left the room.

"Maybe I will." He retorts with a playful smile before making his way to the chair.

"You stayed the whole time?" He sits in the chair leaning forward slightly. His hands rest on his knees, his fingers interlocking.

"I did." He responds, twiddling his thumbs. "I had to make sure you were okay." He speaks in an almost whisper.