(32)

Erin

I hate surprises. I don't like the unexpected.

"I hate surprises, Parsons."

"Oh, come on. Please." He tugged on my hand as he stood up, gesturing me to get up.

"Just tell me and I will get up."

"But that ruins the whole point of a surprise." He huffed. I rolled my eyes at his childish gestures before getting up. He broke out into a smile and butterflies erupted within me.

"I'll go but I refuse to be blindfolded." I admit. He nods and we make our way to the door. I grab the blanket off the couch and my things before we head to his car. He opens the door for me and I smile at his chivalrous gesture.

The first five minutes of the ride were silent. It seemed as if things wanted to be said but no one dared to speak.

"Where are we going?" I ask again, hoping he'll tell me.

"Beanie, I told you, it's a surprise." He shook his head in a playful way, a smile dripping off his lips.

"Can you at least tell me why we're going there?" 

"I guess I can." He shrugs before continuing. "When I finally got a car, I hated being in the house. I always felt confined. So, being the bored self I was, I would just drive around and try to get lost. One day, I actually did get lost. However, I found the place we're going to. It's not too far from where I live but it's become my refuge. When I need to release some steam or get away from life, I go there." As if on cue, we arrive at the hidden place. "We're here."

We exit the car and follow the slight trail to the building. The concrete building takes me by surprise. When I think of a place of refuge, I do not think of a dirty, old, concrete building. However, there was a slight beauty the old building.

"Follow me." Parsons speaks, tugging on my wrist slightly. I follow him down the rest of the path and into the open building. There are no doors and windows, just holes where they once were.

Inside, an abundance of graffiti rests. Thousands of colors line the walls, creating a collage of one's mind.

"Wow." Is all I'm able to say. I hear Parsons chuckle, standing against one of the walls.

"You like?" He asks. His arms cross over his chest, making his biceps showcase the muscles he has hidden under his long-sleeve t-shirt.

"Did you do all of this?" He nods. "This is incredible." I circle the room in amazement. My eyes scan every piece of art along the walls. Thousands of murals cascade throughout the room and my eyes are glued to the beauty surrounding me.

"The walls were almost completely bare when I first got here. However, there was a spray can laying on the ground. It was empty but it gave me an idea. This place is the reason I got into spray painting." His eyes roam the room and a small smile appears on his lips as he recalls the memory.

I don't notice that he's walked away until he returns with a duffle bag in hand.

"What's in there?" I ask. He opens the bag and I see the cans of spray paint. He takes one out and holds it out for me. "I don't know how." I say.

"I'll teach you." I reluctantly take the can but his reassuring smile washes my worry away. He picks up a can for himself and shakes it. I mimic his movements and find an empty space on the wall.

"Just do whatever. There aren't really any rules. Just let your hands do the talking." He says before starting to create something. I sigh and stare at the blank space on the wall. I scrunch my eyebrows while thinking and then an idea pops into my head.

About ten minutes later, I'm done with my piece of art. It does not look the best but it's the thought that counts.

"A beanie?" Parsons chuckles as he stares at my artwork.

"Of course." I give him a cheeky smile and he returns the gesture.

"Thank you." I say, my volume decreasing. "I needed this." 

"Anytime." He gives me that heart-stopping smile and I can't help but feel that feeling rise within me again. Parsons begins to edge himself closer to me but I don't move. His hand reaches up to my cheek, fitting perfectly. I find my breath hitching and he smiles. The blush rises to my face as the space between our lips dissipates. 

The moment his lips touched mine, electricity surged throughout my body. As if instinct, my hands wrapped around his neck, playing with his hair. Butterflies dance within my stomach and my heart moves as fast as it can. Our lips move in unison. Our bodies rest against each other perfectly, as if meant to be. I've been kissed before but this time it was different.

After a moment, we break away. Our breathing becomes ragged for a second until we find a steady breath rate. His forehead rests on mine, his hand still on my face. 

"I've been wanting to do that for so long." He admits, his voice quiet.

"Well I'm glad you did." The blush warms my face up a little but I then realize how cold it is. I shiver slightly as he chuckles.

"Let's head back." I nod and we head back to the car. His hand sneaks into mine and he laces his fingers with mine. I tense up at the action for a split second before relaxing. The warmth in his hand flows into mine and I smile. He opens the door for me and I get in, quickly wrapping the blanket around me. He puts his painting stuff in the back before getting in and warming the car up.

"Can I play some music?" I gesture towards the aux cord and he nods. I pick it up and plug it into my phone and begin to play music from my playlist.

"I approve." He says as The Beatles begins to play. I smile and move my head to the beat. He turns the heat on and we begin to leave the area. I curl into a ball in an attempt to get warm. Parsons reaches over and grabs my hand. I look to him and feel my heart flutter as I notice his gorgeous smile. He begins to rub my thumb. He doesn't know that is something that puts me to sleep but within minutes, I am asleep in his car.

Today was not expected but I would not change a single thing if it meant I would lose the kiss with Parsons.