4 | Confidence

Mateo's POV:

Ugh, my head was killing me with a throbbing headache. I couldn't remember how I managed to get back to my room or when I got there. Strangely, I found myself in different clothes, and someone had tucked me into bed. I shifted my gaze and spotted the 'eat me' and 'drink me' labels on the nightstand nearby.

I grabbed the pill and swallowed it with the lemon water, which felt cool and refreshing. After a quick moment of relief, I realized I needed to get up and start my day, whether I liked it or not.

I brushed my teeth in my bathroom and didn't bother changing into a shirt. None of my maids had a problem with it and Arabella will just have to get used to it. 

As I descended the stairs, the faint sound of voices drew me towards the kitchen. When I walked in, the aroma of freshly made pancakes and the sight of Arabella's beaming smile welcomed me. She was standing amidst the maids, helping my mother with breakfast.

I coughed, and the room went quiet. My mother's eyes brightened as she turned to me, "Good morning, sweetheart!" I hugged her tightly and planted a kiss on Arabella's forehead. I was determined to keep our fake marriage a secret from my mother; she had always dreamed of me settling down, and I didn't want to ruin that for her.

Arabella's smile faltered for a moment, but she quickly regained her composure, and the maids resumed their work. As I looked over at my mother, I couldn't help but feel a sense of guilt wash over me. But seeing my mother's face light up with joy, I knew I had made the right choice. For now, we would continue to play our roles, and I would protect my mother's happiness at all costs.

She's the one woman in my life I love endlessly. 

"What's going on here?" I questioned. 

"I just wanted to see the newly wedded couple. Arabella was already awake when I got here." Thank God. Otherwise she would have found me and Arabella sleeping separately.  

"Breakfast is ready, have a seat." She pointed at the table which was already cleaned, from the dinner I had with my men right before the wedding. 

She started setting three plants instead of two but my mother stopped her. "Oh that's quite alright, I have to get going now. But I'll be back soon." She gave me and Arabella a quick peck and she was gone.

I sat at the table on one end, and she sat at the other.

The table could fit up to 10 people so they distance between me and Arabella was huge.

She was wearing yellow sundress, with a pair of short white heels. But why was she already dressed so early?

"You don't have to make breakfast, that's what the maids are for." I explain, as I take a bite of the food in front of me.

"I don't mind." She shrugged her shoulders as she stuffs her face with a bite of a pancake. She looks away, realizing her mouth was covered in syrup.

She took a napkin from the side and patted her face.

She takes a sip of her coffee and cleans her face off. We both eat in silence, but I don't take my eyes off her once. She would look up from her plate ever so often, seeing me stare at her.

"Did you change me last night?" She choked on her coffee. Her eyes widen and she shook her head. 

"No, I think one of the maids must have. But the eat me and drink me signs idea was all me." She seemed proud of the kiddish thing she did.

"I'm taking you to meet the rest of Mafia today." She smiled and nodded, as if I was asking a question. I know my people will respect her, and if they don't. I'll kill them.