9 | Scared

Arabella's POV:

"Stop it let me do my work." Even though his legs were hurting, I insisted on doing the paperwork that had to be done.

"Mateo, if you don't shut up I'm gonna-."

"You're gonna what?" He taunts, assuming I won't do anything.

"I'm gonna steal your crutches." He rolls his eyes before slouching back into his seat, in the home office.

The doorbell rung making both our attentions land at the office door.

"Stay here." I walk out without a clue about who it is. Of course this stubborn man was right behind me. I guess that makes sense though. What if it's a kidnapper.

I open the big mansion doors and there they are.

Rufus, Katie and... Mom.

"What are you wearing?" The disgust on her face vivid as she embarrasses me in front of my siblings. I thought my outfit was simple and cute. Mateo liked it.

"I think you look great." Rufus said pulling me into a hug, along with Katie.

"This place is filthy, I hope you do a good job at cleaning." She muttered only to me. It was then I realized Mateo wasn't wearing a shirt. 

"Good morning." He doesn't seem to mind that all of them are just staring at his bare chest.

"Mr. Salvatore. Pleasure to meet you again." My mother walks forward and shakes his hand, while he leans his crutch into his armpit.

"Please, call me Mateo. Mr. Salvatore is my father." My mother nods as she takes a seat on the couch and Mateo walks over to my sister and brother.

"Mateo." He shakes their hands as he introduced himself.

"Rufus."

"Katie." Katie smiles.

"Do you guys want something to eat?"

"Make me tea." I nod as I walk off to the kitchen making my mother some tea.

"Did you guys eat breakfast yet?"

"Yes we did. And it looks like you have too." She whispered just enough for me hear.

I put the water into the kettle waiting for it to heat up.

"Want any help?" Mateo walked towards me, while my siblings took their seats on the couch.

"No I'm fine. And you have a bad leg. So go sit down. And put on a shirt." I muttered.  

"My legs are hurt not my hands." I roll my eyes as he sits at the kitchen chairs just staring at me, and I walk around the kitchen getting the things for my mother's tea.

I finish making her the raspberry leaf tea, and hand it to her. But not without her glaring at me, and making me hold the come until the light sting of heat played on my hand.

"This place needs cleaning, where are the maids?"

"Oh well Arabella-."

"Mateo doesn't have maid, never has." I know it's bad to lie, but my mother will kill me. She wants me to be the perfect wife, and if she sees the way I am. She would never approve. Me and Mateo both took a seat on the same couch in front of my mother.

Him still having no shirt. 

"It's rude to interrupt, let your husband talk." She glared at me, then put her famous pearly smile for Mateo.

"Arabella's right, I like doing things myself." Thank God he just played along with what I said. They simply didn't have the shift today. I wanna tell him to put on a shirt so badly. I feel like everyone was staring.