40 | Touched

Arabella's POV:

I think I've told everyone about the story Mateo told me. The ducks having sex in the pond.

Dyiore was laughing more than anyone else. "Honey, you're gonna burst my eardrum if you keep yelling so close to my ear." Dyiore apologizes and moves back a little.

"Did the guys tell you where they were going?" Dyiore shook his head giving the other hand of the cookie to Callie.

"No, but it's probably not that important. Cause normally the three of us need to be together." That gives a me little bit of reassurance to lean back in my seat. I ate four cookies, red velvet, birthday cake and M&M white chocolate and classic chocolate chip. They were all delicious.

But not my stomach is hurting so I kinda regret it. I should have eaten a quarter of each other them. Mateo and Antonio had been gone roughly an hour. We weren't meant to stay this long because this isn't exactly letting Callie have her space.

I see Dyiore pick up the tv remote and he changes the channel until it gets to the news and leaves it at that. I was about to ask why but then the lady on the screen starts talking.

"Twenty three year old Jake Pearson found dead inside his apartment building. Officials say he was last seen leaving the bakery he works at. No one was seen entering or leaving his home. This is being weighed between a homicide or suicide. " She stops for a second and touches her ear listening to whatever was on the end of the ear piece. I see the picture of the same guy from the bakery and I gasp.

Of course he couldn't leave it alone.

"We will keep you update on Jake's case. Back to you Jeff." The new channel changes the person and an older man appears on the screen and starts talking about sports.

I look over at Ellie who's eyes were wide. So this was the something that came up.

"Dyiore why'd you turn this on? Are you an old lady?"

"No, Antonio messaged me saying to the new on. I don't know why. Do either of you know that guy?" I nod my head dropping it a second later. "Who is he?"

"He touched Arabella's hand and was giving weird looks. These boys are extra." Ellie answers grabbing her phone from the table. She's probably texting Antonio.

But she didn't need to. Only a moment later they waltzing back into the house not looking like they murder a man.

"Told you I wouldn't be long." Mateo tried to come to and kiss me but I moved my face away from him.

"Are you kidding me?" I whispered.

"What?"

"Let's go home, now." We say our byes to Dyiore and Callie and we got in the car. 

When I sat in the car next to Mateo, his attempts to break the silence were evident, but I was determined to ignore him. The tension between us had reached a breaking point, and I didn't want to be vulnerable to his words, afraid I'll forgive him without him understand how messed up what he did was. 

His occasional sighs and uneasy movements showed that he was struggling as well, but I remained steadfast in my resolve not to engage. He thought I would be happy about what he did, but I wasn't.

Every so often, he would start to say something, only to trail off as he seemingly thought better of it. It was clear that he wanted to address the issue, to bridge the gap between us, but with our friends in the back we couldn't talk. But every time he did try to initiate conversation, I turned my focus outside the window, pretending to be deeply interested in the passing scenery.