37 | Tears

Arabella's POV :

I cried the whole way home. I was curled into a ball as Mateo kept stroking my hair. He planted a kiss on my head every time he felt me gripping harder on his hand. Although I knew I was safe, I felt different. 

Everything felt different. The way Mateo had his arm around me, was different. I knew he'd treat me differently now. 

I wanted to forget that the last month of my life ever happened. I wanted someone to take away the memory of the last month. I wanted it all gone. 

Every time I thought too hard about what had happened, I started crying again. Remembering that if I hadn't called Mateo earlier yesterday, I would have still been there. I would have still feared for my everyday. 

I started crying again and Mateo held onto me tighter. His lips touched my head as my hand wrapped around his fingers tighter. He shushed me to sleep and it was only when we reached home I woke up again. 

My face was swollen from my tears and Mateo picked me up and took me upstairs without saying anything. I knew he had so much to ask, but I just couldn't. The thought of talking right now, was so unpleasant. Especially talking about that. 

My throat was dry and had a nasty taste. I wanted water. 

He carried me inside making sure he didn't speed up and run up the stairs like he normally did.

He lifted me up a little and gently placed me on the soft bed. I sighed. For a moment I thought he was gonna leave to let me rest. I was exhausted, and the thought of him leaving me alone was unbearable. But I couldn't bring myself to ask him to stay.

As if sensing my thoughts, he sat on the side of the bed and leaned in to place a kiss on my forehead. I closed my eyes, savouring the feeling of his warm lips on my skin. It was something I missed so much. 

But then something unexpected happened. He began to cry. Tears streamed down his face, and I could see the worry etched on his features. I raised my hand and cupped his face, trying to comfort him.

"You don't understand how worried I was," he said, his voice choked with emotion. "I thought I lost you."

Lately all I've done is apologize even if it wasn't my fault. So I couldn't stop myself from saying "I'm sorry.".

He shook his head. "What do you have to be sorry for. I should have done more to protect you." He wiped his tears with the back of his hand and took my hand in his. "But I promise you, I'm not leaving your side."

I felt a wave of relief wash over me as he spoke those words. "Thank you," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

For a moment, we sat in silence, his hand holding mine tightly. But then the door opened and my gaze shifted quickly to the door. Mateo noticed and turned his attention to the door. But only a doctor walked through. 

"How are you doing, Arabella?" The doctor asked, his face filled with concern.

"I'm okay," I said, still feeling drained and weak. I wasn't okay though.

~~~

Mateo's POV :

She looked skinny, weak, hurt and scared. After the doctor finished checking up on her, he gave her a glass of water and a pill to swallow. She drank the glass of water like she's never had water before. 

She fell asleep soon after and me and the doctor left the room to let her rest. "She's weak Mateo." He gave it to me straight. "She's got bruises everywhere, and she's weak. They starved and hurt her badly." He shook his head and looked at the floor.