5 | No Secrets, No Lies

Arabella's POV

Dinner was painfully slow, the tension grew within every second. The maids took our plates to the kitchen and I quickly walked upstairs. I threw my clothes on the floor and stepped into the shower.

The hot water hit my back, causing an arch. As my back calmed at the temperature, I returned to my normal posture taking the soap and rubbing it over my body.

I watch the soapy foam, wash away as the water hits it. I reach out of the blurry glass for a towel only to realize there's nothing.

Peaking my head through the door, I look around for the towel I thought I had brought. Turning the water off, I let my body air dry as much as possible. But it doesn't work, leaving a damp body behind.

Carefully taking step towards the door trying not to slip because of the water falling on the floor. Not expecting anyone to be outside, I slide the door open with my body on display. Only for my eyes to widen, and my hands cover my areas.

Laying on the bed, on arm under his head while the other lays lazily on his stomach, he stares right at me. 

What was he doing in my room?

His eyes don't go to where I'm covering, he only stares at me. He grabs the towel from the bed, wrapping it around his hand making a ball out of it.

When all the material it into a tight wrap he throws it at me, and my hands go to catch the towel leaving me uncovered.

I unwrap the towel and look at him, his eyes are shut. I cover my body with the white towel in my hand and walk back into the bathroom.

I lock the door behind me, making sure he can't come in. My hands reach for the lotion bottle, and I started putting it all over my body.

It's only then, I notice the goosebumps that sat at the top of my skin. I put my black nightwear and walk out of the bathroom.

I situate myself on the bed, having my head rest on top of the pillow. I want to ask him to leave my room, but I scared he'll use 'I own this whole house' move, I wouldn't have anything to defend myself further with.

I'm not tired, but there's nothing for me to do besides lay in bed with him. I reach to my side and turn off the lamp.

I look over at Mateo sides and the lights still on.

"Can you turn the light off?" He doesn't open his eyes, he only responds to my question.

"You can do it yourself." I chew on my cheek and huff with annoyance. I lean over him and try to grab the switch on the lamp.

His grip on my waist kept me from falling. When I tried sitting back down, his grip didn't flatter. He looked at me with a harsh glare, but a subtle brush of my fingers against his, it was gone. His gaze softened and then he finally spoke to me.

"I don't tolerate disrespect, Arabella." I could tell he wasn't as angry as he was when we were sitting at the dinning table with all his maids. What he was feeling wasn't something I could read through his expressions. 

"I don't need you talking shit and acting out, especially in front of people who fear me. They might think they can do the same. But unlike you, I can actually kill them." I knew he didn't want to kill me, he was just trying to scare me. And it was working a little. 

"Do you like Madison?" I switch the topic. 

"What? Are you even listening to me?" I am, but I have more important things to ask you. 

"Just answer the question. Do you like Madison?"

"Not that I owe you anything, but no. I don't like anyone." I feel the urge to roll my eyes but something deep inside me kept me from doing it.