30

"Enough about my son. Let me get to the point, the real reason I wanted you here." I look into The Boss's eyes, his empty, intimidating eyes. 

"You're healing properties are quite extravagant, and those shocks you can create are extremely strong. I've seen you on TV, and I've been watching you pretty closely for the past three years." 

He's been stalking me, for real? 

"What do you want from me, Haruki?" I ask coldly, grinding my teeth. 

"Well, if you want me to be forward, I want you to be my assistant medical director here at the company. I'll treat you better than The League. C'mon, join me, join us." 

I stare at The Boss with my jaw hanging open. UA, The League, and now the fucking Mafia? What am I? A puppet? 

"Um, Sir. I can't do that. I belong at UA. I didn't join The League necessarily by choice-"

"What do you mean 'necessarily?" The Boss cuts me off, leaning further into his arms that rest on top of his desk. 

"I- Well, um... I had the choice to go back to UA, but I decided against it, hoping I could somehow convince young children that heroes are what they say they are," I explain, stumbling over my words a bit. 

The boss laughs before speaking against my words, "Heroes truly aren't what they say they are though. I thought you'd be smart enough to see that considering how long it took for The Pro's to get to that apartment fire you assisted at a few years back. When was that? Your first year at UA? You were working your first internship then, weren't you?" 

This man, he knows so much. It stuns me how he could learn so much about one person. 

"If it were my choice, I would be heading back to my dorm room right now and seeing my friends-"

"And your boyfriend right? Shoto Todoroki. Isn't he yours? A sweet boy I'd say, with a ripped-off childhood. But you're interested in that burnt boy now aren't you? Am I wrong?" 

My whole body sweats. I can feel panic seeping into my lungs through every breath I take. 

"Don't be nervous, Darling. I can practically feel the anxiety radiating off of you." 

"I'm done here. My answer is no, Sir," I say firmly, getting ready to stand up. 

"What if.." The Boss holds his hand out, telling me to wait. 

"What if, you double jobs? I get you out of The League and back to UA-"

"What's in it for you?" I ask, cutting him off.

"I would get you to accompany me on business meetings I need you for. So all in all, it's a good arrangement. Isn't it?" 

I think for a second. If I agree to his deal, I get to go back to UA, forget about The League, and in exchange, I just have to follow him around. Is it truly that simple?

"I don't play dirty, Sweety. Those words that just came out of my mouth will not be switched around-" The Boss lifts up his phone and shows me his screen. 

My eyes widen as I read the contact listed. 

Shoto Todoroki, UA student

I check the number and it's right. It's the correct digits and all. I sit up straight in my chair. 

Should I?

Or shouldn't I?

Agree? 

Or disagree? 

Stay?

Or walk out?

The Boss sticks out his hand, waiting for me to shake it. I slowly lift my hand from under the table. I hold it up awkwardly in the air. 

I blank for a second, looking into those soulless eyes across from the table. 

I feel a warmth.

A small squeeze. 

And I look down. 

A large hand overlapping mine. 

"Deal?" 

"Deal."