Getting through the century

Klaus woke me a week later and had been explaining what had happened in the week that I was dead. Katerina had come to town and seeing how depressed that Damon was over me she had compelled him to forget me.

She had been leading them both on, sleeping with both of them and drinking from both of them, as well as letting them drink from her. She had made them totally in love with her Damon more so than Stephan.

He explained how Johnathan Gilbert was perfecting his vampire compass and that they were planning an attack for tonight.

"Giuseppe has begun to suspect Katherine of what she really is and he fed Stephan bourbon laced with vervain, tonight when he goes to see her and she drinks his blood she will react and the hunt will begin,"

"Why haven't you killed her yet," I asked and he sighed

"The hunter is still in town and I don't want to be targeted," Klaus told me and I nodded sitting very still. Klaus kept his eyes on my warily, "Ana, we must leave before the hunt begins," he said and I shook my head.

"Giuseppe will not hesitate to kill Damon if he finds out that he was with Katherine," I said my voice rising knowing that it was true.

"He will not hesitate to kill you if he finds out what you are," Klaus countered. "And forgive me if I care more about you then the humans."

"Nic, I am staying. I'm not asking you to do anything for me, you can leave," I argued growing quiet.

"And if they catch you?" he asked and I shook my head.

"I am one of the original vampires, it would be a disgrace if I got caught now, even if it is one of the five." I smiled and Klaus laughed,

"Alright, but still be carful," He said and got up and kissed me on the forehead. "I will see in the next decade," he said and I got up and hugged him,

"Goodbye Nic," he whispered a goodbye in my ear and then disappeared. As soon as he had left I felt the urge to go see Damon, hold him in my arms again and kiss him. But I knew that I couldn't, he wouldn't remember me and Katherine would know that I was there and would surely have killed him. So I waited, I waited to hear Katherine's screams ring through the air as she drank Stephan's poison laden blood.

I didn't have to wait long within the hour I heard it, her scream pierced the air and shouts followed shortly afterwards. I got up and ran to the Salvatore residence. I got there just as they were binding Katerina's arms with what I supposed was vervain soaked ropes by the way they sizzled against her skin almost melting it.

I looked and saw Stefan standing next to his father eyes filled not only with hate for Katerina but worry for how his brother would deal with it. Johnathan Gilbert pulled up in his wagon gasping as he saw Katerina with her teeth elongated and blue and black veins bulging from underneath her eyes. He then hollered in triumph and jumped down helping Giuseppe throw Katerina in the back of the wagon. Giuseppe said something to Stefan which I couldn't because of Gilbert's idiotic screaming.

I watched as he told Giuseppe that they should go to town to find more. Luckily for me he had not pulled out his compass as of yet so he did not detect me. As they left Damon ran out of the house. I let my heart thump as he came out the house at hearing the commotion.

"What's going on brother?" he asked and Stefan told him that they had taken Katherine. Damon's gaze darkened as the story progressed.

"You told me that you would not tell father, you promised me that," Damon said and Stefan turned away from him in shame.

"I thought father would not hate them as much if he knew a nice one," Stefan said and Damon scoffed at him.

"And now you know that our father is a monster, he does not care how nice she is, he see's her as a monster and now you have sent her to be killed," he spat at Stefan and my heart sank because I knew that Katherine had changed him, made him bitter.