The Last Message

My lower lip trembled as I watched the video again. Pressing the little sideways triangle on the screen mechanically and waiting for the video to start up. Every time I played it a fresh stream of tears would roll down my cheeks and I would wipe them away as they reached my chin. I sniffled, not able to tear my eyes away from the cell phone as the video played. I had memorized the words by this point and could mouth along to them if I was able to do anything but watch.  

"Hey sweetie," I looked up halfway through the video to see Caroline kneeling directly in front of me. I started a little and quickly wiped my eyes, not sure how I had been so distracted that I hadn't heard her come in. "What are you watching?" She asked quietly, her tone wasn't too questioning, like she already knew what I was watching. I pressed my lips together, thinking that the small action would keep the rest of me from falling apart. I shook my head not able to speak. Caroline sighed quietly, sadly, and pushed a strand of hair out of my face. "We will find him, I know it," She whispered and I nodded, glancing back at the video as it began to play again. 

*** Caroline's P.O.V. *** 

Earlier 

It had been hours since Ana had left to meet with Enzo and I was getting really bored. I mean, don't get me wrong, binge watching 'Friends' on Netflix while pigging out on a blood bag and some french fries was amazing but a girl could only do that for so long.  

My phone rang and I paused halfway through an episode to see Enzo in the caller ID. I groaned and answered it before taking a sip from my blood bag. "What?" I asked rather harshly.  

"Don't bite," Enzo teased and I rolled my eyes taking another sip. "I was just calling to check on Ana, she's not answering her phone so I wanted to make sure she was ok," He spoke haltingly. He cared a lot about her but was so against admitting it that it was actually painful to hear some times. 

"What are you talking about? Isn't she with you?" I asked him sitting up on my bed. I criss-crossed my legs, resting my back against the head board.  

"She was, but I gave her Damon's cell phone and she left about two and a half hours ago," I could hear the frown in his voice and I frowned as well. We had a small hotel room and I knew for a fact that she wasn't here. 

"She's not here," I got up and took a quick look around the rooms to make sure.  

"Dammit," Enzo cursed and the line went dead for a few moments. "There was a video from Damon on the phone, for her," He said causing me to bite the inside of my cheek.  

"Why would you give that to her?" I exclaimed. I quickly put the phone on speaker and placed it on the dresser before running around the room in search of pants. 

"What do you mean? I thought it would help her," Enzo suddenly sounded distressed. I groaned, not able to get that mad at him because he did have the best intentions and didn't know Ana as well as I did. 

"Seeing that video will send her spiraling back into the deep dark hole of depression that I've been working so hard to get her out of," I sighed pulling on a real shirt over my cami.  

"Shit," Enzo cursed before the line went silent.  

"It's fine, I know where she is, I'll go get her," I said pulling on a pair of converse. "You couldn't have known," I added. I grabbed the room key and shoved it into my pocket along with my keys. "Bye Enzo," I clicked the line off before I heard his response. I shoved my phone into my pocket before heading towards the door.  

Ana didn't think I knew about her frequent trips to the Salvatore crypt, which lay on the no magic boarder, but I knew her too well. Just after Damon died she went there almost every day, sometimes to cry, or just sit in silence, or even to talk to him. Airing out her problems and letting the wind carry them away. As the weeks drew on she went there less frequently and at this point she only went there in times of need. I was guessing that this qualified as one of those times.