Ressurection

*** Thal's P.O.V.***

I opened my eyes and sat up gazing at my surroundings. I was in a clearing in the woods, surrounded by grass and dandelions. I stood and began to brush off my clothing when I noticed I was wearing a burlap peasant dress rather than my black funeral one. Funeral, I was supposed to be in the church bathroom right now. Where the hell was I? I walked to the edge of the clearing and took a path that I somehow knew was going to be there. I hadn't seen this landscape in centuries but I knew it. I ran faster the farther along the path until I reached the small town filled with straw, wood huts and faces that smiled to each other like ghosts. After a brief pause I continued running until I reached my house, there was a boy sitting outside of it leaning against the door and digging his foot into the dirt.

"Nicklaus!" I called out to him and he looked up. A smile grew on his face and it showcased a gap in his teeth.

That's when I noticed it.

My voice.

It was so tiny, I looked down and saw that my hands, legs and feet were tiny as well. I looked back up to see Nick walking over to me with a boy behind him.

"Hello little Ana. I have brought a new friend for us to play with together," Nick moved to the side to reveal a boy of his same age with matted brown hair and torn rags covering his body. He was  one of the homeless boys in the town and I felt myself recoil away from him.

"He smells," Why did I say that? What was wrong with me? The boy cast his eyes to the ground and took a step away from me.

"Don't be rude Ana!" Nick hissed before walking over to the boy and placing his arm around him. "Ulrik is our new friend,"

Everything went black.

I woke to a quiet knocking at my door. I sat up slowly and stood, again noticing how short and small my legs were. I quickly ran to the door and opened it. Ulrik was standing on the other side and had a large smile on his face showcasing his missing front teeth.

"Do you want to play with me today?" He had his hands clasped behind his back and was rocking back and forth.

"Sure, is Nicky here?" I glanced around my porch but didn't see him. I turned back to Ulrik who was shaking his head.

"I was thinking that just the two of us could play today if that's ok with you," I looked back to see Merdith sitting at our table. She nodded without turning to me and I jumped a little bit. I had no control of this body or of my mouth at all. I groaned mentally and took a step out the door. As I did this the ground outside disappeared and I fell, letting out a scream.

Everything was once again black, and still.

I felt around and could touch blades of grass under my palms. When I opened my eyes the sky presented itself to me in a magnificence only the 6th century could muster. "It's so pretty," I took a deep breath in of fresh, carbon free, air letting my chest fall slowly.

"Oh come on Thal, do we have to stay here much longer?" I turned to the side to see Ulrik's face so close to mine that his gentle breath tickled my nose.

"You know I hate that nickname right?" Ulrik nodded and turned back to the sky. The profile of his face was gentle, like him, his nose curving up like a wave and back down, round enough that it looked like he had a small ball under his skin. Freckles scattered themselves across the area just under his eyes so that from far away it always looked like he was blushing. I turned from the sky so I could lay on my stomach and talk to him more comfortably.

"Why do you think I use it?" Half of his mouth curved up forming a lopsided smile and I shook my head.

"You are quite terrible I'll have you know," I hit his shoulder and his hand flew up to it feigning pain.