City of Lights

A/N: There is important info in paragraph 2 of my authors note at the end.

New York, not as fun as New Orleans, but then again, the people here are different. I can stay here, gorge a little bit and leave before anyone even notices the amount of people coming home with strange bites. I drive the streets looking for a bar; every time I come here I forget the name of it. My friend Will owns it and he is always willing to let me stay a couple days with him.

Finally, after a couple hours of searching, I find his bar. There is still light out as I park my car in the lot next door not surprised that there are a lot of empty spots. The party doesn't start until after the sun goes down. I get out the car and stretch my legs, I hear someone whistle at me from behind, but I ignore them. I'm a woman, not a dog. I take out my purse and walk over to the bar my heels clicking on the ground.

I had stopped at a gas station and changed partway through the drive up here. I'm now wearing dark red skinny jeans ink black pumps and a jaggedly cut tight black tee-shirt with holes in it. I walk into the bar and smile as heads turn my way. I toss my hair, making it look like fire as it flies around my head and lands peacefully on my shoulders. I sit at one of the stools and look around for the bartender.

"Long time no see Ann, a man says from behind me, I turn around and smile. Mark is the co-owner of the bar they work opposite shifts so one of them is always there. I stand and hug him; I haven't seen him in forever and a decade.

"Hey Mark, how have you been?" I ask him as I pull away. He shrugs and walks around the bar.

"Overworked, I need a break," he says. I laugh Mark isn't himself when he's not complaining about something.

"Where's Will?" I ask as Mark makes my usual drink, which I'm surprised her remembers after so long.

"He owed some girl a favor and she cashed it in," Mark places my drink in front of me and I smile. "She asked him to go kill someone, some werewolf girl," I nod. Will liked to gamble and as a result he owed a lot of people a lot of money, which he paid in doing jobs for them without pay. My mind goes to a random thought, but it couldn't be the same person.

"Was the girl's name Katherine?" I ask, Mark leans back on the bar facing me.

"Which girl?" he asks

"The one he owed," Mark tilts his head deep in thought and after a moment he nods.

"Yeah, her name was something like that, Kathy, Katherine. You know I'm bad with names Ann," he says, I would have smiled if my mind wasn't racing. People who had jobs to complete for Katherine normally didn't make it out alive. "What's going on?"

"No, it's just that Katherine's jobs are really dangerous," worry crossed Mark's face for a moment before it disappeared.

"I swear to go he is not gambling anymore," Mark says I smile sympathetically at him. Not only did they co-own the bar but Mark and Will had been going together for a while now. "And when he gets back he is going to work both the day and night shift." he says. I laugh and take a sip of my margarita. I can't help worrying about him though. Mark walks away as my phone rings; I take it out and check the caller I.D. It's Nic. I sigh and answer it.

"Hey lil' sis, how's the big apple treating you?" he asks

"Well I've only been here an hour or so, but so far all is great," I say, I use my straw to take off some of the salt from around the cup.

"Alright, I was just calling to warn you.

"About what?" Some guy sits beside me at the bar and I glare at him until he leaves.