Road Trip

I sat in the lounge with Stefan and Elena reading a book as he helped her study for her history exam. I flipped to the last page of crime and punishment and sighed. I had read it five times and the ending never ceased to disappoint me.

Roman empire” Stefan asked Elena as I placed my book on the side table and went over to the seemingly endless bookshelf. It had been five days since Damon and Enzo left and I felt a bit hurt that they hadn’t thought to call me. Not that I would have taken the time to listen to them, but at least I would know they were thinking about me.

476 A.D. sacked by the Goths,” Elena answered. It had taken her twice as long to get the answer as it would have taken me. But then again I was older than her, even if she looked a bit older than me. Maybe that’s why Damon liked her more. I tuned out of their conversation as they went back and forth. I ran my fingers over the old books and read random titles until I heard the doorbell ring.

“Oh, Caroline's here, I asked the sheriff to help me track down Damon,” Stefan  said as he stood to get the door. I wandered back over to the couches and noticed the look of annoyance that flashed over Elena’s face before she noticed that I was studying her.

“Hey, Ana, I know we’ve had our differences but can we try to get along?” She asked. I raised my eyebrows. “I mean, now that we’re no longer fighting over Damon?” She smiled but it faltered when I didn’t return with one. “I mean, we can both agree that he’s gone off the rails and isn’t savable,” She stated. I shook my head.

“I don’t believe anyone in this world isn’t savable,” I spoke through gritted teeth. “And no matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise, I care about Damon and there isn’t anything I wouldn’t do, anything I wouldn’t give up to save him,” My statement made Elena quiet and we sat in silence for a moment before Caroline and Stefan walked in.  

“You were right. He's off the rails. This is from my mom,” She handed me a file and I opened it flipping through pages. Something was odd about these deaths.

“Let me guess: missing persons and animal attacks?” He asked me and I nodded.

But there's something else,” I frowned. Caroline nodded.

“All of the victims were found inside their homes without their head... and their skin was desiccated,” Caroling flipped a few pages for me and pointed to a picture of one of the victims. Sure enough, he was desicated and was missing his head.

Damon's feeding on vampires...” Stefan walked over to me and looked at the victim from over my shoulder. “I shouldn't have let him go,” Stefan’s shoulders slumped forward.

No. Uh uh. No,” Caroline swiped the files away from me and shut them “You are not turning Damon's roosting chickens into a Stefan Salvatore guilt trip. No one could've stopped him from going after Wes the other night,” My heart fell and I covered my face with my hands.

“I could have stopped him. I was just so angry about what he did, I just,” I paused and pulled at my hair. “I was just so angry,”

“Ok, look, it’s no one but Damon’s fault that this happened ok? Stop blaming yourselves because you both know that nothing could have stopped Damon from leaving,” Caroline crossed her arms over her chest.

I guess Wes must have injected him with whatever he was going to give Elena that makes vampires feed on vampires,” Stefan noted after a few minutes.

Ah. Good news, bad news. Bad news is that when this happened to Jesse, we had to kill him, but the good news is...” Caroling paused for a moment then shook her head “I'm sorry, usually there's some good news,” She said sadly.