The End of Everything

I stood at the border of the town and placed my hand against it. My palm began to burn and I winced but pushed my hand farther. I was about to take a step when Caroline called me and I froze.

"Ana, what are you doing?" She asked pulling me back out of Mystic Falls. I winced as she pulled me back to where her and her mother had set up a picnic.

"I was going to get Damon," I whispered. Caroline's grip on my arm loosened and I turned away from her.

"You can't go across there, you know that right?" She asked. I pursed my lips and didn't respond. "You'll die if you do that,"

"And what? Should I leave him over there?" I exploded. "In a town of humans surrounded by the bodies of those who are responsible for his death? To be buried in an unmarked grave?" I asked her. Her hand fell from my arm and she turned away from me. "He was a hero, he died a hero and I intend to bury him like one,"

"That's why I brought him here," I looked up to see Sheriff Forbes standing outside her car. She had driven it across the border and when she opened the back door I saw a casket. I immediately ran over to it and pulled it out the car. My eyes began to well up as I placed it in the bed of Caroline's truck. I opened the top half and choked back tears. His face was cold, colder than I had ever seen it before.

"We're going to bring him back," Caroline said wrapping her arm around my shoulder. "Both him and Bonnie," She closed the top half of the casket and I nodded. Stefan had left last night to start searching for a way. I turned to her and we hugged each other. My shoulders shook as I cried harder.

"Come on, let's bury him," Sheriff Forbes said rubbing my shoulder and I nodded pulling away from them.

"Thank you," I whispered to her and she nodded.

*** One Month Later***

"What do you think of this one?" Caroline asked as we walked through the apartment. She had dropped out of college and we were getting an apartment together on the outskirts of Mystic Falls. I shrugged and pulled gently at the curtains.

"It's nice, but I don't think we need all this space," I spoke softly. She pursed her lips and shook her head.

"I think we do, I mean, with Stefan coming home with a solution any day now," She began and I tensed. "And we would need room for him, and Bonnie, and Damon to live here as well," She continued obliviously. "Well, of course when Bonnie comes back, she'll want to go back to the dorm and I'll probably go with her, so it'll just be you Stefan and Damon," I tensed again but didn't say anything. I didn't need to bring down her positivity with my negative attitude.

"Caroline," I sighed.

"And look, this accent wall is green, which is Stefan's favorite color, so when he comes back he'll like that won't he?" She asked raising her eyebrows. I nodded quietly and ran my fingers over the kitchen counter top.

"I think, it's too much of a puke green though, don't you think?" I asked quietly, finally able to put on my brave face for her. "I think he would want to paint over it and that would be so much more work than painting our own accent wall," I looked up at Caroline and her lips were pursed as she thought. She finally nodded and began to make her way to the door.

"I think you're right, let's keep looking," She said. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before following her.

***

Once we got back to the hotel I fell back onto one of the bed and closed my eyes. I was about to fall asleep when Caroline jumped on the bed.

"Oh no you don't, we have reading to do and you are not going to leave it all to me," She pointed at me and I nodded sitting up and wiping my eyes.