The 152 year Engagement

They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Well I don't know who they are, but loneliness hurts like a bitch. 

In the hours after I met up with Damon all I wanted to do was sit with him and talk. We didn't have very much to catch up on, after all my past few months had consisted of trying and failing to find a way to bring him back. He hadn't changed very much, besides a growing shadow on his chin which I found to be cute (though he didn't like that I called him cute). I held onto his hand tightly as we laid in the grass in a park just outside of the college. 

"I don't think I can ever let go again," I whispered. I tilted up my head and my lips met Damon's. 

"I won't let you," He replied taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. My head and rose and fell with his chest. My eyes were closed until I realized something and sat up quickly. 

"I should be the one saying that," I hit him causing him to sit up as well. 

"Ow what the heck?" He smirked as he grabbed his arm knowing I hadn't really hurt him. 

"You were supposed to stay safe," I smirked and hit him again. "I was gone not 24 hours and you drove your car into the middle of an already fatal situation and blew it up," I went to hit him another time but he stopped me by grabbing my wrist. It fell  limp in his arm and my smirk was gone. "You killed yourself without knowing that you would come back," I pulled my arm away from him. "That scared the hell out of me,"I tried to pull my hand away from him but he would let go. He drew it closer to himself and rested it on his chest. His heart was beating abnormally fast and irregular. "You didn't even say goodbye,"

"I know, and doing it scared the hell out of me to; but I couldn't not do anything knowing that the result would be your death. I risked my life because I couldn't stand the thought of you, of Stefan, or even Caroline not being here on this earth. I did what I had to," He paused and put his forehead against mine. "And I would do it again in a heartbeat," I took a deep breath as I gazed into his beautiful blue eyes.

"Mr. Salvatore I love you," I smiled as we laid back down onto the grass, his arm around me. I closed my eyes and listened to his heart as it beat in time with the rising and falling of his chest. 

"I notice you don't wear your ring anymore," I opened my eyes and looked up at him frowning. I held up my ring-less left hand before resting on his stomach. "Why is that?" He asked.

"I guess it was just too sad. Everyday I was reminded of you while at the same time I was losing hope of getting you back," I closed my eyes again. "I just couldn't handle some things," We were silent for a long time and I opened my eyes again, just to take in the moment. 

"I like the way it looked on your hand," His voice was so quiet that I almost didn't hear it but I did. My body went rigid. I didn't want to make any assumptions about what he was saying to me so I just kept quiet. "I think you should put it back on," We both sat up and I faced him crossing my legs. 

"What are you saying to me?" I frowned. My hand went to the chain around my neck where the ring hung. 

"I'm saying," Damon reached out and unclasped the chain from around my neck. He slid the ring off the chain and grabbed my hand. My left hand. "I want you to wear this. With the same meaning it had in 1864," The breath left my lungs.

"Damon Salvatore, that better not be a marriage proposal because it's a sad excuse for one and if it isn't it's cruel joke that I couldn't forgive you for telling," I pulled my hand away from him and cradled it to my body. Damon laughed at my reaction.

"It was a marriage proposal and I thought it was sweet and creative," Damon raised an eyebrow.

"Don't try to be sweet baby," I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist. "It doesn't suit you," I leaned down a little and kissed him slowly.