When Love Wins Over

“I’ve got some news,” I sniffed as I walked up to the door to Damon’s cell. He immediately stood up as I clicked the lock open and slid open the cell door. I handed him a glass filled almost to spilling with my blood. He took the glass and drank quickly.

“Good or bad news?” He asked raising an eyebrow and setting the glass on the table.

“Depends on who you ask,” I furrowed my eyebrows and sat on the tough bed. Damon walked over and sat next to me, he took one of my hands into his and rubbed circles in the back of it. It was something he hadn’t done to me since we were human.

“If you asked me?” I pulled my hand away from his and he frowned.

“Katherine took over Elena’s body, the girl who kicked the stake, the one who didn’t want to save you and the one who broke up with you was Katherine.

“She is brilliant,” He whispered under his breath. I studied my fingers and pulled at my nails.

“We haven't noticed that Katherine's been inhabiting Elena's body for weeks, and that's all you have to say?” Stefan’s voice came from the door of the cell and Damon and I looked at him as his shoulders moved up and down almost imperceptibly. “Right. So, your little murder spree with Enzo, where you, uh, killed Aaron, you nearly killed Jeremy, AND you tried to kill Wes, but you got infected with that ripper virus. That was all you reacting. To Katherine,” Stefan raised his eyebrows but Damon didn’t seem to care about what his brother had just told him.

“I'm trying figure out why you decided to tell a starving, bloodthirsty, vampire-feeding Ripper that his nemesis is still walkng around, alive and well, while I'm stuck in this cell and can't do anything about it,” Damon stood and Stefan shut the cell door behind him.

“I have it under control,” I furrowed my eyebrows, frowning and crossing my arms.

“I would love to hear this,” Damon spoke my thoughts out loud.

“We are going to lure her in with a fake surprise party for Bonnie and then stab her with that dagger that expels traveler spirits from the host body,” He explained. I nodded, it was a stupid plan, and a really idiotic one but it was a plan none the less and it had more than a fifty percent chance of working.

“She will see that from a mile away and you know it,” Damon shook his head. “But she will show up anyways so I guess it’s a win win,” Damon shrugged. Stefan’s eyebrows furrowed. “I heard parts of your conversation from earlier and I know Tyler bit Nadia,” Damon paused and came back to retake his seat next to me. “And if she won’t come for the surprise party she’ll come for your blood,” He smirked at me and I shook my head.

“I’m only two thirds hybrid, my blood isn’t potent enough to do anything,” I frowned, Damon raised his eyebrows and I finally got what he was hinting at. “But she doesn’t realize that,” I finished and Damon nodded turning back to his brother who nodded.

“You are dismissed, I’ve heard your plan and I approve,” He waved his brother off and Stefan rolled his eyes opening the door and leaving.

“Even locked in a cage he’s still an ass,” He muttered. I smirked. In Stefan’s absence the cell fell silent and Damon and I sat side by side neither of us speaking.

“It doesn’t change anything you know,” He whispered. I shook my head, he was wrong, that statement was wrong.

“It changes everything and you know that Damon, Elena never hurt you, Katherine did and that makes everything you felt for me in those five minutes change,” I played with my fiery hair absentmindedly.

“Yes, Elena didn’t break my heart, and I know that that changes so many things,” He took my hand in his and I wanted so badly to pull it away, to try and distance myself from him but I didn’t. I let his warm hand envelope mine and let his fingers interlock with mine. “But the connection I had with you made me realize something,” He studied our hands but I couldn’t focus on it. If I focused too hard my eyes would water and I would cry and there was nothing I hated more than crying in front of others. “You make me reach higher goals than I ever thought were possible. I got over compulsion for you and I, not matter how much my gums burn, have no desire to feed on you right now,” He looked up from our hands and I felt his eyes on me. “Please look at me,” he whispered. I looked up at the ceiling and knew my eyes were turning red from unshed tears. Damon’s hands unwound from mine and I missed their warmth until I felt his palm land gently on the side of my face to urge me further to meet his eyes.