06

As we were discussing with the receptionist about Liam's injury, Scott's mother came by. She had gotten a wheelchair and took Liam Dunbar away. I sighed. He was feeling frustrated and seemed to be regretting some decisions.

"I got to get going," Stiles said. "I promised Malia I'd help her study."

"Sure," Scott responded. "I want to check on him anyway."

"Hey, I don't need to say that wasn't your fault, right?" Stiles asked, concerned.

"I don't know."

"Scott, if you had used any wolf power, that kid wouldn't be limping, he'd be crawling... " Stiles said. "back to the other half of his body."

"If I hadn't been so worried about being captain, he wouldn't be hurt either," Scott said.

"Scott," Stiles began. "It's okay to want something for yourself once in a while. Team captain, Alpha werewolf. You're still only human."

Stiles patted his shoulder and left. Scott turned to me and asked, "Are you staying?"

I nodded.

"You can go home," Scott told me.

"It's fine," I assured. "I can be... the emotional support? Getting kind of good at it. Scott, you're the kind of person who takes the guilt trip and I'm betting the kid in there does, too. It's not bad to feel competitive sometimes."

"Until someone gets injured," Scott said. I smiled at him. "What?"

"I don't know how you do it," I said, examining his face. "You always think of everyone, even the people you barely know. You're so righteous."

We got to Liam's room. Scott slowed down. I knew he was listening in. The doctor came out and Scott turned. I smiled at the doctor and glanced at Scott.

He took his phone out of his pocket. It was Lydia. By what Scott was responding with, it was either she was scared or it was something urgent.

"She wants me to find Sean Walcott," Scott said.

I didn't ask why. Scott didn't know the full answer either. We had to take the stairs because the doors to the elevator had closed before we got to it. Then Scott heard screaming. We rounded the corner. Scott roared. The kid's arms and shirt were bloodstained. He had sharp teeth, but not of a werewolf. Scott tried restraining him, but the thing kicked him away and ran.

"Still got your staff?" Scott asked.

I took my bag off my shoulder and brought it out. "I really need to make this thing easier to carry around."

Scott followed the sounds. We got to the stairs and onto the roof. There was blood on the wall, then there was a sound upstairs. We ran up and I flicked out my staff.

"Don't! You don't need to do this," Scott tried to reason. "Whatever it is, whatever you are, we can help you."

"No, you can't!" he said.

"Let me help you," Scott said. "Let us help you."

"Wendigos don't need help. We need food!"

Scott jumped. Liam was falling. Scott pushed him to the side. I started climbing onto their ground level. Sean grabbed Scott. I got to them and tried to pull Sean off of Scott. Somehow, he was incredibly strong.

Finally, I was able to throw him back. I whipped around, hit him in the face and he fell back. I turned back and grabbed Liam's other hand, helping to pull him up.

I looked back to Sean. I expected him to be coming at us, but he was on the ground. He had a wound on his back and he stared lifelessly. A man in black was exiting. He turned, but he wasn't a man at all. Well, he didn't have a mouth. He put a finger to where his lips would be, then walked away.