37

"Mason, you know your part?" Scott asked to make sure.

"Corey and I break into the Devenford bus and search their shoes," he replied.

"Lucy and I take out the TV vans," Malia said.

"Right before the whistle, Coach forfeits the game," Stiles added.

"The rest of us are looking for a size ten with a bloody sole," Liam finished.

"Just out of curiosity," Malia spoke. "What if it doesn't work? What if we have to go up against this thing? I mean, I hate to bring up bad memories, but Scott's still healing from what Theo did to him."

"No, he's not," Kira told us, looking up at Scott.

"She's right," he said, lifting the hem of his lacrosse jersey. It was blemish-free with no gaping wound. "It happened the night we got Lydia out of Eichen House. I healed when we were all together again. When we were a pack."

Liam smiled, hopeful. "The Beast doesn't have a pack."

Scott nodded. "Not like us. We can do this, guys. No one dies tonight."

:::

"You got your weapons?" Malia asked me.

"Yeah, of course," I responded. I looked at her who looked anxious. "Why?"

"Just in case the Desert Wolf decides to come and kill me," she said with a poker face.

"Great," I responded weakly.

Malia gave me a leg up and I got on top of the van. Malia got onto the second van. I looked at the black and red cables on the back of the satellite dishes.

I took my dagger from my sheath in my boot and cut the cable. I jumped down as Malia tried jumping to the third van. As I ran towards her, there was another woman.

"Desert Wolf... "

I went towards her with the dagger in my hand. She turned, her eyes glowing blue. She grabbed me, tossing me and I tumbled on the grass behind Malia. I looked at her and she gave me a signal to wait and addressed her mother.

"To be honest, I'm totally up for killing you right now, but I've got other priorities."

"I can see that," she said patronizingly. "Got something against the local news? Somebody put out a broadcast you didn't like?"

"Somebody's about to," Malia replied. "And since I know you're not going to try to kill me until there's a full moon, get out of our way."

The Desert Wolf side-stepped her and blocked her path, which only made Malia more frustrated and annoyed.

"People are going to die."

"People die every day, sweetheart," the Desert Wolf said.

"Stop calling me that!" Malia said angrily. "You don't get to call me sweetheart."

"All right. What if there's a compromise?" she proposed. "What if you come with me? We can try to solve our little predicament and maybe I start calling you daughter."