58

"I mean, technically I could give power to the station, but... "

"We can't - not in front of all these people," I finished Alex's sentence. "You'd only frighten them more than they already are."

"He can do it secretly?" Olivia suggested. "Bring him in a separate room?"

"It'll be too bright," Alex said. "To power this whole building, I'll need a lot of power."

"Besides, the darker it is the better," I told Olivia. "That way they can't see everything that we're doing in here."

I scanned the room, the anxiety intensifying, yet there was one who was a lot calmer than the others. I heard something clatter and a black object rolled next to our feet.

"Everybody! Get down!" Alex yelled.

Alex grabbed us, pulling me into the sheriff's room. We crouched behind the wall, but there was no explosion or fire. We peeked out from the room, swatting at the smoke that clouded our vision.

"What the hell was that?" asked Malia as the smoke dissipated.

"A distraction," said Scott.

"They said midnight!" Stilinski yelled furiously.

I grabbed his arm, pulling him away from the doors. He looked at me as I said, "The grenade came from in here. It was one of us. I feel them." He gave me a questioning look. "The fear is the same, but they're calmer than everyone else in here."

"Are you able to pinpoint who it is?" Parrish asked me.

"I might," I answered, then looked around at the people. "If I do this, I have to touch everybody. The one who I can't see through is the one who dropped the smoke grenade."

I went by everyone, concealing my intentions with calming words and encouragement. Each one was easy to see what was going on in their minds. I walked towards Deputy Vargas, who began to walk away. It was too suspicious. Her movement was like she was trying to avoid me.

Glass shattered. I turned around to see an arrow heading straight for me. I ducked, hearing the sound of the arrow cutting through the air. I stood up straighter, glancing at Malia. I pulled the arrow out from the wall, then took off the paper.

"This is Brett's number," said Liam after seeing it.

"They're trying to rattle us," Lydia stated.

"It's working... "

A horrified scream disrupted the ominous silence. I followed Stilinski and Olivia into another room. Deputy Morrow was backed against the wall. Nolan was sitting down, shaking. Another deputy had hung himself - the cause of the terror.

"I-I didn't do anything. I didn't even say anything," Nolan said quickly. "He just got up and started putting the wire around his neck."

"Help get him down," Stilinski said and they tried cutting the wire.

"Lucy, go back," Olivia told me.

"They weren't the only ones in here," I whispered.

"Fifteen minutes," said Morrow. She sat down. "They're coming to kill us in fifteen minutes. They're coming to kill us and no one's gonna help us. We're all dead. We're already dead."

She grabbed the gun from her holster. Noticing this, I tried to pry it away from her grip. She fought me, crying hysterically. She tugged at the gun, pulling it towards her head. I tried to prevent her finger from getting to the trigger.

"Calm down," I told her again.

"We're already dead... "

Then, the trigger was pressed. The blood splattered on my face. I fell back as she laid on her side. Scott and Alex came inside, viewing the scene. I quickly let go of the gun. I looked around at everyone, then in the doorway, I saw the creature. Alex passed by it and when he moved out of the way, I could no longer see it.