49

"There has to be another way."

We spent almost an hour trying to break through the rift. Malia had attempted to push a steel bar through it, but it simply burned the tip.

"We just need to think."

Malia looked at Lydia. "Think?"

"Yeah," Scott said. "Think about how to get through a supernatural rift that melts steel."

Lydia sighed. "I didn't say it would be easy."

I turned upon hearing another voice. "But it doesn't have to be so hard."

"He followed our scent," Scott informed.

"I followed your desperation," he corrected. "We're all in a tough spot. Desperate to get inside and save everyone and hoping to find a way to stop this army of the dead. We all want the same thing."

"He has a point," I commented.

"If he doesn't kill anyone," Malia added.

"Else," Scott corrected. "If he doesn't kill anyone else."

"All that matters right now is getting through the rift," said Mr. Douglas.

"Then you're out of luck," Malia said.

"The rift burns everything that tries to pass through it," Lydia told him.

"Perhaps not everything."

Parrish appeared and stopped behind him in his Hellhound form. His eyes glowed a greenish-blue, different from his usual ember eyes. He growled at us, baring his sharp teeth.

"Jordan... " Lydia said cautiously.

"If the Hellhound can open the rift, we all go together," Mr. Douglas said.

"You're the bad guy," Malia stated. "I'm pretty sure helping you is a bad idea."

"Good guy, bad guy," he said patronizingly. "When has anything ever been so black and white?"

"World War II." I turned my head to my left, seeing Liam who was out of breath. "He's a Nazi. He wants the Hunt for himself. He wants his own supernatural army."

Mr. Douglas opened his hand, letting the whip fall onto the ground, trying to intimidate us.

"We're not letting you through that rift," Scott said.

"'Not letting me?'" he said. "I see. You still think you have a say in the matter."

Douglas flicked his whip at us and Scott and Malia jumped back. Scott shifted and roared at Douglas. Then, he flicked it again. I followed Liam and Lydia to the tunnel beside us and grabbed my staff, watching the scene cautiously. Malia joined us when she had an opening, then Scott.

"Höllenhund!"

Parrish walked over to the rift and widened the rift, creating a blue-green smoke around it.

"Parrish, stop!" Scott yelled. Mr. Douglas threw his whip again to keep us where we were.

"Wunderbar." Parrish roared. "Höllenhund... kommen."

"Now!" said Malia.

We turned the corner. We were almost at it, but the hole closed until there was none.

"No," I breathed out.

Then, two figures appeared. The chains they wore could be heard as they walked. Scott extended his arms out, keeping us behind him as we backed away.

"Liam, take Lucy and Lydia to the bunker," Scott ordered.

"Scott, I'm not leaving you," I protested.