16 ~ Thoughts & Prayers

⚠️Warning: Mentions of assault/torture/death, and slight mentions and scenes depicting trauma. If affected, please read with caution. ⚠️

~~~~~

*Chris*

"Wait, so.... You're saying Briar Rose just didn't exist a few years ago?" Ricky asked.

"Its probably just a mix up, right?" I asked as I paced the room.

After that call with Dave, I decided to talk to Ricky, see what he thinks.

"I mean, I guess..... Wait, why are you just telling me?" Ricky asked curiously.

"Because I need to hear whatever the hell this can all mean from the only conspiracy nut I trust," I said with a groan.

He looked at me with furrowed brows. "Gee, I'm both flattered and insulted...." he scoffed.

"Rick," I sighed as he then stood up, hands out.

"Okay okay, look... This probably has nothing to do with some big conspiracy or anything, anyway," he said. "I mean, maybe it is just a mix up with the paper work. It can happen."

"What makes you even think that?" I asked.

"Well, look at it this way," He said. "She's worked for Balz for almost as long as she's lived in Scranton, and you know how thorough he is with his background checks at the store or even the coffee shop."

I paused as I thought about it.

"Do you really think he would have hired her if there was something shady about her?" he asked.

Ricky may have a point.... Balz is pretty fucking cautious with everything..... Used to drive me crazy whenever we were in the studio....

"Okay, okay, say you're right..... How does that explain any records of her going missing?" I asked.

"She was in the foster care system, dude. Name one social worker than can keep track of everything without losing even a sticky note from a kid's file," he scoffed. "They lose more files than anyone can count for. Briar probably slipped through the cracks like a bunch of other kids might have. Hell, it'd be a miracle if they even had her file at all."

I pursed my lips and sighed, seeing his point.

"Look, eitherway, just talk to her," Ricky said. "I'm sure there's a logical explanation to this."

I sighed, nodding.

"Yeah, you're right," I sighed.

"Or she really is an undercover agent for the CIA..... Or trying to recruit us for the Illuminati," he shrugged.

"Aaaaannnd you lost me," i scoffed with a facepalm as he chuckled.

"Would you relax? I'm just pulling your leg," he laughed. "Like I said, just talk with Briar. I'm sure its nothing to get worked up about. Hell, talk to Balz, too. He's known her longer that we have, hasn't he?"

I sighed and nodded. "Yeah, you're right.... I do trust her, and I know back then she's been through a lot. Why would she lie about it?"

"Exactly," Ricky said.

"I'll talk to her later tonight, and... Hell, I'll even call Balz, just to be sure," I said as then the door opened and Justin poked his head in.

"Hey, we're all ready," he said.

We nodded and I got my mic while Rocky grabbed his guitar and we headed out.

***