c h a p t e r - 1

'It's all that I wanted for the longest time- to open my eyes and see you there.

To stretch out my hand and touch the soft, yielding warmth of your skin. But now I have learned the secret of distance.

Now I know being close to you was never about the proximity.'

***

"I need the presentation completed by tomorrow." the teacher yelled as the students rushed out of the class.

My friend, Suzie and I were passing a junior class as we saw the kids rushing out as if they had a train to catch.

"Are you sure you'll be able to write that essay by today, before the deadline?" Suzie asked.

I nodded absentmindedly as I watched this girl bumping into the exit door.

Aw finally someone like me.

"Annika?!" Suzie called out and I looked over at her surprised.

"What is it?" I asked tilting my head a little as I was confused.

She narrowed her eyes and ignored me.

I kept pestering her until she finally repeated what she had spoken before.

"If you won't be able to complete it, you know what will happen right?" She said and I nodded terrified.

Well, we were threatened that if anyone fails to finish the assignment this time, they will be banned from the trip which is to be held in a few months or weeks.

As we were walking together talking about irrelevant things we came to the volleyball field right next to the football one.

Today was some kind of inter school competition for the volleyball kids so the field was empty today.

Whereas the football field was hustling and bustling.

My eyes caught sight of the important figures of our school in the football team.

I had recently transferred to this school and I didn't know much about them.

But just by the looks of it anyone can say that they were someone important or well, feared.

Suzie was my botany class partner and our class just ended, so we were hanging around.

"Ah, I'll have to leave now." Suzie said getting up from the bench as she watched her phone ring.

"My friends want me to come to the cafeteria. Why don't you join me?" She said smiling.

"Haha, some other day. The weather is too good to be inside." I said as a cold breeze flew through us.

"You are right. I'll join you later." she said waving me bye.

I closed my eyes enjoying the birds chirping and the soft breeze.

Though the people around me weren't very quiet.

Well, what did I expect sitting next to a football field?

I opened my eyes, annoyed a little.

The football flew and came to stop a little distance from me.

My eyes became wide in surprise.

They have a whole freaking field and yet they are throwing the ball here?

I saw a guy running to get it.

The ball came to a stop right in front of me. And I got up to pick it.

I couldn't catch sight of the person who was coming to get it.