02

I took the last box from the moving truck and walked upstairs, to our new temporary home

My mom follows me with Mia in her hands. I open the apartment door and put the box where the other ones are.

I sigh and look over at my mom and Mia. "I have to go to the boxing club, they want me there right away," I explained.

My mom shakes her head, declining, and puts Mia down. "Who's gonna help me pack?" she ask.

"I'm sure the neighbor you bumped into will help." I laugh and shake my head.

She hits the back of my head and I rub it. "My little Mia will help because my own son is so mean to his mother." She picks up Mia

"Why do you have to go at 9 pm anyway?" She raises her eyebrow and walks off to her room with Mia.

I shake my head and grab my wallet. I put it in my pocket along with my phone. I close the door while the lady who looks the same age as me opens hers. She looks tired. She closes her door and I walk downstairs.

I get into my truck and drive off to the boxing club. When I get there, the building looks very old and looks like it was going to fall down any day now. When I walk in, I get a hint of a smell, sweat.

People punching the punching bags, some have the shirt off. I see the receptionist at the desk. I walk up to her. She smirks and bites her lips. "How can I help you?" She bites the back of the pen. Her blond hair was tied into a bun.

"I'm looking for Blake." She nods and types on the computer. Then she looks up at me and writes something on a piece of paper. She hands it to me, I tuck it into my pocket, not bothering to look at it, and walk down the hall to where she pointed at.

I knock on the door and hear a 'come in'. I open the door and walk-in.

"Sit" Blake demands and I sit in the empty chair. I look around the office, a desk sits in the middle, a couch, and a lamp in the corner. Nothing really special.

"What can I do for you son?" Blake asked looking down at his paper.

"I called early and you told me to come down." I rub my hands through my hair.

"Oh, you must be Leo?" he asked and looks up. I nod and play with my fingers, anxious.

"I'm gonna need you to fill out some paperwork and then you can start tomorrow." I nod and get up. Once I grab the paper work, i leave. I leave the place and go pick up some dinner. I know it's late, but I bet they didn't eat yet.

Once I get to our new home I open the door and see my mom and Mia pass out on the couch. I shake my head at them and take Mia out of my mom's arms. I place the dinner in the fridge since everyone is asleep. Mia starts opening her grey eyes and smiles once she sees me.

I take her to her small room and place her in her crib. Her eyes start to water. She reaches for me and I put her back in my arms. I rock her until she falls back asleep and place her back in her crib, then I go to my room. I had a habit of spoiling Mia. It was a bad habit, but I couldn't help it.

I take everything out of my pockets and place them on my dresser. I grab the post-it note the girl gave me and I place it in the trash, still not bothering to look at it. I step over all the boxes and lay flat on the bed. I let sleep overtake me.

-

"Leo" I hear my mom scream. I open my eyes and sigh. I groan and then get up out of bed. What could she want now? I open my door and walk to the kitchen.

"Yes," I mumbled, yawning. She shakes her head once she looks at me.

"You have to take Mia to daycare, remember? You drop off in the mornings and I pick up in the afternoon?" She asks. Oh shit, I forgot about that. I run to my room, shower, get dressed, brush my teeth, and do my hair.

I get Mia ready, put everything in her diaper bag, feed her, and put her in the car. I drive to the daycare and get her out quickly. Once I sign her in, I kiss her cheek and give her to the older lady. The older lady smiles and waves goodbye.

I quickly exit the building and drive to the boxing place. I go right to Blakes office, not bothering to check in. He tells me to come in. I sit in the seat and hand him the paperwork I was assigned to do.

"That was quick." Blake grabs the paperwork and scans over it.

"Alright well, you can start by cleaning this place up a bit. It's really dusty." he laughs and shakes his head. I look at him crazy, what?

"Can't I start boxing, I know everything." I say as he stands up. He opens a door and grabs a broom.

"All my men start cleaning. If you don't complete this then no boxing. Start with the front. Clean the mats, shower, my office, gloves, and punching bags." He hands me the brooms and tells me to get out. I sigh and I start getting to work.

-

I look over at the clock and sees it's 6 pm already. I finished everything. All I want to do is go back home and sleep. I put all the cleaning stuff away and grab all my shit. I lock up the place since everyone left. I get in my car and check my phone. 5 miss calls from mom. I call her back

"Where are you?" She picks up on the third ring.

"Sorry, I had to stay later." I close my eyes and lean my head back on the seat.

"Okay, hurry back. I have Mia." She demands and then hangs up. I was extremely grateful for my mother, she helped when I couldn't. I knew I took that for advantage.

I drive back home and get out of the car. I unlock the apartment door. What are they doing in there? I can hear laughing from all the way down to the hall. I open the door and look at this stranger from yesterday, my mom, and Mia at the table. I give my mom a confusing look.

...