12

I choose something not too fancy, but also look like I'm tried

I choose something not too fancy, but also look like I'm tried. I choose flare leggings and a white see-through top. I put my sweatshirt over the top so it doesn't show too much. I grab the wine I had in my fringe and my wallet just in case.

I put the address in my phone and drive away. Turns out her apartment is only 10 minutes away. I grab the wine and make my way up the stairs to A8. She said it was on the second floor. I knock on the door. I hear footsteps and It opens.

Grace is in Sweatpants and wearing a crop top. "You found it! Come in!" She smiles at me.

"Sorry, I'm a little early." I walk into the apartment. It is very cozy, she is great at decorating.

"Oh, no worries." She takes the wine and puts it in the fridge.

"It looks really nice in here!" I look around more. I see pictures of her and Max on the walls and tables. Each one was a new adventure.

"Thanks, I'm majoring in Interning designing." She grabs a couple of snacks. I nod.

"We can go into the living room." We start walking.

"Just letting you know max is there but, he will go into his room to watch a fight with-" I walk In and see Leo sitting on the couch drinking a beer with Mia in his hand. He is wearing a black t-shirt that fits his body perfectly and wears black sweatpants. Max is doing the same, but with a baby boy, he looks 2. I stopped listing to Grace once I saw him.

"Okay, boys. We're taking the living room so leave." She makes them leave. Leo gets up first and goes over to me still holding his beer. His 6'1 figure tops my 5'4 figure. Damn, he's tall.

He gets close to my ear and whispers "Nice to see you here, love." I gulp. Love? He walks past me before I could say anything. Grace smirks at me and sits down on the couch.

"So what's up with you and Leo?" She grabs a chip and eats it. "Nothing. We're just neighbors." I roll my eyes.

She laughs "Sure."

"Do you like him?" My eyes widen.

"No-I'm mean sure he's cute, but he just is so Bipolar. He's sweet and then the next minute he puts up a wall." I never really opened up to people, but Grace really helped.

She nods "that's how Max was. I think Men are like that." She rolls her eyes.

"When did you and Max meet?" I ask. I grab my wine off the coffee table and take a sip.

"We met when we were in college. My friends forced me to go to this party and we met there. We actually had a one night stand and I ended up getting pregnant." My eyes widen. So that's the baby that was with Max?

"I found out when I was 8 weeks. Once I told Max he wouldn't talk to me for about a mouth. He eventually came around and apologized. I started getting bullied, so Max and I left and came to this town." A tear falls from her eye and she quickly wipes it.

I give her a hug. "Is that the baby that Max was holding?" We pull apart and she nods. "His name is Jaxson. He's one but he's turning 2 in a week. I smile.

"I bet your an amazing mom." She thanks me.

"How long have you known Leo?" I ask. I don't know why.

"We actually known him before he moved here. Him and Max were childhood best friends. He wanted to move up here with us but, he couldn't afford it and all the things that happened with Mia." I nod.

"But the rest isn't mine to say." I nod understanding. Grace and I got interrupted by a cry. "Oh that's Jaxon. I'll be right back." I nod.

She gets up and goes to the room that was right across the living room. She opens up the door and I see Leo. He looks up and stares at me. I look away fast. I drown the rest of my wine and get up to get more.

I go to the kitchen and refill my wine. I turn around and walk back to the living. Grace sit there and plays with Jaxon. "I'm sorry, he's just very hungry." She says. "No you're fine. I don't mind at all." I shake my head. She gives Jaxon a bottle and burps him once he's done.

Grace and I talk about a bunch of things. Hobbies, ex boyfriends, jobs, just random things. She goes to put Jackson to bed while she's doing that my phone rings.

I pick it up and see the ID as Unknown. It could be work. I pick it up.

"Hello?" I put the phone to my right ear. The door opens reveling Leo and Max.

"Is this Annabelle?" A man asks.

"This is she." Leo looks my way. I ignore his stare.

"You have a visitor. I can't reach you through your apartment, so I called you." He says.

"I'm not there right now, but who's is the Visitor." I ask.

"He says his name is Eric." My body goes stiff. Grace comes out the room and sits next to me.

I can't breathe. I need to talk but nothing comes out of my mouth.

"Hello ma'am." The man says.

I hear rustling then a voice I never wanted to hear again.

"Hello Dear." He laughs. That laugh haunts me. Memories start rushing back to me.

"Annabelle come out where ever you are." Dad laughs. He opens the closet door I was in and snatches me. I scream for help. "Please no. I won't do it again. I'm sorry" my young self sobs.

I was interrupted by someone tapping me. I look over and see Grace with a worry expression. I realize I'm still on the phone and need to respond.

"I found you." Eric laughs before he hangs up. I put my phone in my sweatshirt pocket. "I'm sorry Grace. I have to go, something came up." I say without looking at her.

"Thanks for this. We should do it again." I smile at her and gives me a weak smile, if I'm still alive by then, and follows me to the door. I see Leo and Max in the kitchen cooking something.

"Anna. If you need anything or need to stay here please don't hesitate to ask. I mean it." She whispers to me and we hug. All I want to do is tell her everything  and sob into her arms.

"Thanks so much Grace. I'm new to all this. I really appreciate it. And if you need a babysitter or anything please call me, okay?" She nods and we break apart.

~

I reach back home. I don't feel safe here anymore. What do I do?