Chapter Twenty-Three

Raise your hand if you forgot I and this hook existed 🤚🏾🤚🏾🤚🏾🤚🏾🤚🏾

Double update since most of you have read chapter 22 before but most of you probably forgot since I barely update.

---

"Jungkook, you have to find it in yourself to forgive your parents," Dr. Irel said, making his patient frown.

"They hurt me...they don't care about me."

"I understand," Dr. Irel nodded as he watched Jungkook nervously pick at the skin around his fingers. He already had bandaids on three of his fingers. He frowned. "What's bothering you, Jungkook?"

"They came to my apartment on Monday," the younger boy started, "Mother...she begged for me to let them stay."

"And you told them no, didn't you?"

Jungkook nodded as he squinted at his lap, pressing his lips in a thin line. That wasn't why he's ashamed.

"I-I...I felt good," Jungkook said, "I felt good when I told them no."

Red — Taehyung — had released his father a day after he revealed his name to Jungkook. Shock and happiness had run through his body when he watched the news anchor talk about the Jeons' sudden downfall. They lost their house, their other estates, their savings, their company, their cars, everything. They lost everything.

"I-I felt...I felt powerful."

Jungkook can survive on his own. His parents had been funding his living, sending him money for rent and other bills, but he saved most of it. Not to mention, Taehyung secured the savings they had for him — he'll live well without them.

"Why do you think you felt good? What gave you power?" Dr. Irel asked.

"They...The-They did nothing...they did nothing but kick me while I was down..." Jungkook answered, "wh-when they found out what happened, they wanted me to hide and stay quiet."

"So this is revenge for you?"

Jungkook nodded. When he denied them help, Taehyung had been with him. They didn't see him — he had been standing in the kitchen so he could hear them but he couldn't see them as well. They had begged and begged and it made Jungkook feel so good, watching his father fall apart, crying and pleading.

Just the way Jungkook did every single time his father beat him for something he couldn't control. Just the way Jungkook did when those boys raped and beat him over and over again.

It felt amazing to be on the other end this time.

"Please, son, we have nowhere else to go."

Jungkook was tense as he stared at his parents' tear-stained faces. But he didn't feel bad, he didn't feel sad. The discomfort he originally felt when his parents showed up was fading away to make room for a new feeling. A feeling that made him stand a little taller and fight a smile.

"That's not my problem," Jungkook said as he slammed the door in front of them, not wanting to waste his time anymore. His father began yelling, demanding his son let him into his small apartment. The man called him a disgrace, disrespectful, ungrateful and so on but it didn't matter. He was above them now, that's all that mattered.

"You did good," Taehyung praised as Jungkook stared down at the floor between him and his front door. He placed his gloved hand against Jungkook's waist, squeezing a bit as he made the boy turn to face him.

"You're not feeling bad for them are you?" Taehyung asked, disappointment evident in his voice. He grabbed Jungkook's chin and made the eighteen-year-old look at him. Jungkook shook his head but he couldn't find his words. He felt as though something was blocking him from swallowing as his heart beat heavily in his chest.