TWENTY SIX

TWENTY SIX

Kylee Green was exhausted, watching her mother move around the house nonstop was exhausting. The older woman wouldn't stop moving, whether she was singing and dancing, cleaning, cooking, or simply jogging in place. She wouldn't stop. It was beginning to give the young girl a migraine, watching her mother as she constantly moved.

She was working on homework, trying to understand the chemistry assignment Harris decided they needed to complete, when her mother waltzed into the kitchen. She wore a large smile on her face as she approached her daughter, talking a mile a minute the second she stepped in front of her. Kylee tried to follow along, although her mother quickly went into a tangent and began moving as she spoke.

Now Kylee simply watched, unable to focus on homework or understand anything her mother was saying as she moved around the kitchen. She was trying to remember a time in the past, pre-fire, when she had ever seen her mother this energetic. She came up blank, no memory she had involved her mom bouncing on the balls of her feet before spinning around the island as she cooked.

Charlotte Green had always been on the more serious side of things—rarely did the woman break out in an impromptu dance, especially while cooking dinner. It was a little disturbing if she was being honest. The most energetic she could remember her mother ever being was running around the house after her father during a game once. Even then that only lasted a few moments, not three hours like her current dance and cook off was.

Kylee was getting annoyed the longer her mother danced around the kitchen cooking a bunch of foods together and essentially wasting all the groceries she had just bought the day before. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason behind the ingredients being pulled from the pantry and fridge and added to the boiling pot on the stove.

The brunette jumped at the excited shout that left her mother's lips. The honey haired woman had her arms thrown in the air, eyes glued on the pot sitting on the stove in front of her. Confused, Kylee moved to her mother's side, eyeing the odd things placed on the counters near the stove before looking into the pot. Stomach turning, she looked away with a gag, hand covering her mouth as the scent finally reached her nose. The pot held a weird concoction, one her mother apparently believed to be golden as she quickly found the bowls and began scooping them both a serving.

Taking the bowl, Kylee held back a gag as she stared at it. Chunks of partially cooked chicken sat in a purple liquid, chunks of grape jelly sitting on the rice and pasta mixture with vegetables floating randomly. Chunks of raw bacon stuck to the side of the light blue bowl, a sliver of lemon soaking up the purple liquid and changing color. She couldn't tell what the liquid was, although it smelled strongly like liquor of some kind confusing the girl. Eyes darting towards her mother she watched the woman as she happily ate the meal she made, not once upturning her nose to the awful smell it produced. Or the fact that it was practically uncooked, despite the three hours it took her to make it.